The Star Trek Death Cult

Started by LongBlade, May 20, 2015, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Yeah. WTF?

QuoteBeneath the surface of their fiery passion for the Klingon language and Romulan mythology, the British government of the 1990s once thought something more sinister could be lurking: Violent anarchism and a proclivity for mass suicide.

According to The Express, a recently-disclosed document from London's Metropolitan Police reveals they were keeping a secret dossier on fans of Star Trek, The X-Files, and other science fiction shows out of fears that their fans might abruptly become suicidal cultists or start a rebellion against the rest of society.

The paranoia was related to the approach of the year 2000, and thoughts that the new millennium could somehow drive hardcore sci-fi fans into a frenzy of UFO mania or apocalyptic fervor.

More antics at the link: http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/20/uk-government-investigated-trekkies-as-a-possible-death-cult/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Clearly some middle aged police Inspector needed something to do in order to justify his/her existence!  :2funny:
Any time is a good time for pie.

Airborne Rifles

Sounds like some mid level bureaucrats needed a reason to justify spending their days watching scifi at work. Brilliant!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on May 20, 2015, 11:48:21 AM
Sounds like some mid level bureaucrats needed a reason to justify spending their days watching scifi at work. Brilliant!

If that were the case, I'd have made it a case that busty brunettes are suicidal cultists that wish to start a rebellion against the rest of society.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 20, 2015, 11:58:18 AM
I'd have made it a case that busty brunettes are suicidal cultists

In my experience, that is accurate.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Was the one that drove through the living room wall a brunette?

GDS_Starfury

nope.  a dirty blonde.
a very very dirty blonde.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Quote from: LongBlade on May 20, 2015, 11:23:43 AM
Yeah. WTF?

QuoteBeneath the surface of their fiery passion for the Klingon language and Romulan mythology, the British government of the 1990s once thought something more sinister could be lurking: Violent anarchism and a proclivity for mass suicide.

According to The Express, a recently-disclosed document from London's Metropolitan Police reveals they were keeping a secret dossier on fans of Star Trek, The X-Files, and other science fiction shows out of fears that their fans might abruptly become suicidal cultists or start a rebellion against the rest of society.

The paranoia was related to the approach of the year 2000, and thoughts that the new millennium could somehow drive hardcore sci-fi fans into a frenzy of UFO mania or apocalyptic fervor.

More antics at the link: http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/20/uk-government-investigated-trekkies-as-a-possible-death-cult/
Reading that made my head hurt.  Someone please post boobs and/or butts. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

I'll bet you a dollar that in the ensuing two decades things haven't improved...on either side of the pond.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.