I, for one, welcome our newer new overlords

Started by LongBlade, August 04, 2015, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

airboy

Quote from: LongBlade on August 04, 2015, 08:42:19 AM
A giant ball of FLYING red squid has been found off the coast of Turkey.

Video here: http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/08/03/mysterious-giant-ocean-blob-squid-mass-orig.cnn-storyful/video/playlists/creatures-of-the-deep/

CNN, sadly, has not properly understood the danger. Their soundtrack is way off base. Someone needs to strip it and replace it with something more appropriate...like Midnight Syndicate.

My fault.  We were in a cruise in those waters two weeks ago.

I spit over the side of the cruise ship.  My saliva powers are AWESOME!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Sir Slash

Damn, that's some serious kelp. Kelp-Creatures or Kelplings?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

LongBlade

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 18, 2015, 04:21:11 PM

Apparently it's rather lethal to swim in, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on November 18, 2015, 07:44:12 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 18, 2015, 04:21:11 PM

Apparently it's rather lethal to swim in, too.

Hell yeah.  Can you imagine getting accidentally tangled by it & drowning?  I can.

I recall my father occasionally taking us swimming at a creek fairly regularly in our childhood.  A nice deep deep & wide spot (some might call a river) which was a popular place to go for people in the area.  The banks were steadily eroding to the water so big tree roots would snake out into the creek a ways down.  Sometimes trees themselves would fall in.

Anyway.. we'd heard stories of people diving down to the bottom, getting tangled or an appendage stuck in the roots or in the crushed branches of a dead tree, and drowning.  We didn't find out until seeing it later on the local news, but that exact thing happened to some lady one day we were there swimming.  I even recall seeing her swimming nearby that day, and wondering if she'd left without my noticing.  Glad I wasn't swimming down where she had been. 

My uncle reportedly pulled someone out of the same situation, in time to save them, when he was young & noticed it.  Same area too.

Was always worried about getting trapped like that, before and after.  That pic just looks like a drowning waiting to happen, to me.  :o