Calgary hums

Started by besilarius, August 09, 2015, 05:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Wasn't there some seaside west coast towns that were inundated with a constant low hum, over the decades?  And it ended up being some specific kind of fish that migrated into the bay during mating season.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on August 10, 2015, 12:56:40 PM
Wasn't there some seaside west coast towns that were inundated with a constant low hum, over the decades?  And it ended up being some specific kind of fish that migrated into the bay during mating season.

Yes. I remember that.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on August 10, 2015, 01:59:46 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 10, 2015, 12:56:40 PM

Yes. I remember that.

~~>

QuoteOne of the possible causes of the West Seattle Hum considered was that it was related to the midshipman fish, also known as a toadfish.[39] A previous hum in Sausalito, California, also on the west coast of the United States, was determined to be the mating call of the male midshipman.[40] However, in that case the hum was resonating through houseboat hulls and affecting the people living on those boats. In the West Seattle case, the University of Washington researcher determined that it would be impossible for any resonating hum, transmitted via tanker or boat hulls, to be transmitted very far inland; certainly not far enough to account for the reports.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

Last I heard, the Sausalito CA episode was definitely confirmed as an unusual gathering of these fish in that location.

~~~~~~>

JasonPratt

That is straight up Hedorah there on the table!  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!