Florida deserves its own thread

Started by besilarius, September 18, 2015, 06:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

QuoteDon't like wearing condoms during risky sex? Best start lobbying your local lawmakers to increase the sales tax on alcohol. A study out of the University of Florida and published Wednesday in the Journal of Preventative Medicine found a correlation between gonorrhea rates and the price of alcohol.

But wait! It isn't exactly what you think.

QuoteAccording to a press release, Maryland raised its alcohol sales tax from 6 to 9 percent in 2011. Gonorrhea rates dropped 24 percent in the 18 months afterward, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports.

source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/12/10/study-links-increase-in-alcohol-tax-to-lower-std-rates.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

QuoteA man high on the drug Flakka tried to break into a Florida jail all while cameras captured the incident, deputies said.

Cameras rolled as 24-year-old Patrick Rempe was seen attempting to ram his car through the front door of the jail, shattering the glass, Indian River County deputies said.

Smoke from the tires billowed out from under the car.

When he couldn't get in, he drove into the fence outside a building and started climbing it before getting tangled in the razor wire.

Rempe was removed from the fence and taken to the hospital for injuries from the crash and razor wire.

Deputies said he was high on flakka and wanted to visit friends in jail.

source: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/12/16/deputies-man-high-on-flakka-tries-to-break-into-florida-jail/

Sir Slash

I'm NEVER inviting that guy over to my house.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Flakka? Is that some kind of Orc catnip?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 16, 2015, 09:04:16 PM
Flakka? Is that some kind of Orc catnip?

It's a synthetic drug that's highly potent and...well, lethal.

QuoteFlakka stories are starting to pile up. A man in South Florida who broke down the hurricane-proof doors of a police department admitted to being on flakka. A girl in Melbourne, Florida, ran through the street screaming that she was Satan while on a flakka trip. Authorities in the state are warning people about the dangers of the drug.

QuoteFlakka, which gets its name from Spanish slang for a beautiful woman ("la flaca"), contains a chemical that is a close cousin to MDPV, a key ingredient in "bath salts." These chemicals bind and thwart molecules on the surface of neurons that normally keep the levels of mood-regulating neurotransmitters, dopamine and serotonin, in check. The result is to "flood the brain" with these chemicals, Hall said. Cocaine and methamphetamine have similar modes of action in the brain, but the chemicals in flakka have longer-lasting effects, Hall said.

Although a typical flakka high can last one to several hours, it is possible that the neurological effects can be permanent. Not only does the drug sit on neurons, it could also destroy them, Hall said. And because flakka, like bath salts, hang around in the brain for longer than cocaine, the extent of the destruction could be greater.

More at the link: http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/26/health/flakka-gravel-illegal-drugs/index.html

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Sir Slash

I always wanted gold balls---- on my Christmas tree.  ^-^ This guy should've just stuck with ear rings.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Sir Slash

The girl was a transplant from Columbia. The native Floridians don't wear anything when we trash fast-food places. Though we do comply with the, "Shirt and Shoes Required Here" rules for upscale establishments.

Staggerwing

Sounds like she might be bipolar. For some folks the manic phase can actually manifest as a full-blown psychotic episode.

I had a friend who suffered from bipolar disorder with extreme manic phases. During one of his worst episodes he jumped from an overpass because he was convinced he could fly. He shattered both his legs and it took years before he could walk unassisted. Walking around with a cane when you are 22 is not nearly so suave as it sounds when you actually need the damn thing.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Sir Slash

35 Years as a Mental Health professional and I can tell you the most difficult patients to handle are the Manic/Depressives when on their manic phases. I understand tasers don't even work them at that point. We always tried to get ahead of their mood swings and sedate them before they got out of hand because once they're on it all you can do is try to play catch-up.

LongBlade

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 01, 2016, 11:31:04 PM
35 Years as a Mental Health professional and I can tell you the most difficult patients to handle are the Manic/Depressives when on their manic phases. I understand tasers don't even work them at that point. We always tried to get ahead of their mood swings and sedate them before they got out of hand because once they're on it all you can do is try to play catch-up.

Sounds like Star with a butt plug.

Sir Slash

Ooooo. Just had a mental picture.  :crazy2:

Staggerwing

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 02, 2016, 12:16:55 PM
Ooooo. Just had a mental picture.  :crazy2:

Now you're gonna need a mental health professional of your own.