Detailed look at the Swiss Guards

Started by bayonetbrant, September 29, 2015, 01:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Gus sent this over and asked me to share

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-pope-has-a-small-but-deadly-army-of-elite-warriors-1733268646

QuoteIf you have ever visited the Vatican, you have seen the stoic guards that look like they missed the bus to the local Renaissance Festival. The truth is they are a high-end military force made up of top ex-Swiss soldiers. And don't let those spears fool you, they can shred you to pieces with them. If that doesn't work, they have one of the finest firearms collections on the planet to finish the job.

The Pontifical Swiss Guard is over 500 years old, making it one of the oldest standing military units in the world. Founded officially on January 22nd, 1506 by Pope Julius II, at the time the Swiss Guard was really a mercenary force. Back in the 14th century, Swiss fighters were knows to be some of the best anywhere, renowned for their ability to take on far larger armies and win. In the 1400s, Swiss mercenaries proved themselves in battle time and time again, sometimes while fighting for the Holy Roman Empire. In a way, their small footprint with big results was a precursor to today's elite special forces teams.

and more

QuoteThe Swiss Guard is well aware that they have to stay up on the latest technologies to keep potential threats at bay. As such, they regularly modernize with the times, but they don't really put any old gear fully out of commission either. They also employ Swiss T59 rifled muskets, Vetterli Model 1871 and M1867 rifles, Hisso MP43-44 sub-machine guns and Schmidt Rubin K31 bolt-action rifles. These are just a few models of vintage arms still in service with the Pope's army. But don't be fooled, there is plenty of very modern firepower as well.

Although many would think the Vatican is protected by a token force of spear-slinging cosplayers, this is not the case. Although the Vatican does not like to discuss it, many plain-clothed officers are nearby the Pope when he is moving about. This especially includes when he travels abroad. These Swiss Guard officers pack the best weaponry available, namely tricked-out Heckler & Koch MP7 personal defense weapon (PDW) that fires armor piercing small caliber rifle rounds. This weapon is extremely popular with elite units ranging from SEAL Team Six to presidential protection units around the globe. It is also compact enough to be packed in an underarm-sling that can be concealed underneath a sport coat.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

At Vatican City, the hall where visitors meet the Pope is huge.
It has an odd set up.  There is a large, wide aisle down the middle (for the Papal sedan chair).  On the right side are people from the Romance languages (French, Italian, Spanish), and to the left for Germanic languages - which includes English.
During a USA tour of Rome a bunch of sailors from the Sixth Fleet attended an audience.  Must have been in 1973.
The folks from the Romance language groups were whooping it up like in a soccer match, while the Germans were sitting in order and in silence.  (Some of the Germans were positively sneering at the Italians.)
At the end of the audience, the Pope sat on his sedan chair, and with a halbard bearing Swiss Guard at each corner went down the aisle, blessing to right and left.  The Romance folks were going crazy and pushing on the guardrail.  This must have been standard, because the rail was more of a fence and was very sturdy.
On the German side, the fence was not so strong because a couple of sailors accidently pushed a section down.  Talk about surprise.  The guys fell over and were on the ground.  The Swiss Guards immediately formed a triangle - one on point and two protecting his flanks - and started to move in.  The other Guard led the way back the aisle and the sedan bearers showed they could move in reverse.
The poor sailors were looking up at three deadly serious halbardiers, just waiting for an excuse to lop off some heads.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

You gotta admit- a halberd makes a very impressive crowd control device.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus