We all live in a flying submarine

Started by eyebiter, October 25, 2015, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Guess it's time to put down the hash pipe. It's all real. Again.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Just what I need to help me sleep well tonight.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

besilarius

The old show, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, had a flying sub.
Never got into that show, was just too weird.  The scuba diving chief Boatswain Mate was also the electronics wizard of a nuclear submarine.
Ri-i-i-ight.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

So.... the distance from Shanghai to San Fran is about 9870 km. So that makes the speed of this thing about 100 km/minute or 6000 km/h....  :2funny:

Just ignoring the fact that the vessel would disintegrate at that speed inside a cavitation bubble (  ??? ), it would make so much noise that the USN could blow it out of the water before it got past Japan.....

Centurion40

Quote from: eyebiter on October 25, 2015, 08:46:33 PM
Chinese scientists developing a flying sub
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/14147/20140828/chinese-researchers-working-on-a-flying-submarine-shanghai-to-san-francisco-in-100-minutes.htm

I saw this pitched on Ancient Aliens, or some such show, explaining how underwater UFOs (or USOs if one prefers) can travel so quickly.

::)
Any time is a good time for pie.

BanzaiCat

They can't even build their own fucking aircraft carrier, and they're going to build a "flying submarine?" My ass.  ::)

mirth

They're going to build a flying submarine in your ass?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on October 27, 2015, 10:07:33 AM
They're going to build a flying submarine in your ass?

Don't judge. To each his own.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

BanzaiCat

It's a one way street, baby. Outwards. :-*

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jejo68

I dont know if this is physically possible. But if it is, it seems to me that a lot of people here seem to make the same mistake about Chinas potentials as a lot of people did with the japanese in the 60' when they started making cars etc. Back then everyone just shrugged them off because they were at best cheap copies of western cars, but look at where Japan is now.
People seem to forget that in China they educate around 300.000 engineers every year, and sure some are the stereotype inflexible robots, but that's certainly not the case with everyone.

Oh and to stay in the car analogy, try look at chinese cars 10 years ago, and the one they build today. Sure they are still lacking, but thats just a matter of a few years then they are fully up to western standards and will probably flood the market just like the japanese did back then, once they got the hang of making good cars.

LongBlade

Quote from: jejo68 on October 28, 2015, 12:59:24 AM
I dont know if this is physically possible. But if it is, it seems to me that a lot of people here seem to make the same mistake about Chinas potentials as a lot of people did with the japanese in the 60' when they started making cars etc. Back then everyone just shrugged them off because they were at best cheap copies of western cars, but look at where Japan is now.
People seem to forget that in China they educate around 300.000 engineers every year, and sure some are the stereotype inflexible robots, but that's certainly not the case with everyone.

Oh and to stay in the car analogy, try look at chinese cars 10 years ago, and the one they build today. Sure they are still lacking, but thats just a matter of a few years then they are fully up to western standards and will probably flood the market just like the japanese did back then, once they got the hang of making good cars.

Indeed.

And every time they steal more secret plans from the US their military gets better, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

PAH!!!

In Soviet Russia, submarine submerges YOU!

Can has Chinese submarine that?!

JasonPratt

China was apparently watching the Super Atragon anime.

Still, it's... technically possible, I suppose?

Step 1.) Create vehicle capable of reaching low-orbital heights and speeds, re-entering the atmosphere safely, and navigating in the atmosphere, under its own power.

Step 2.) Make it capable of operating underwater, too, for the hell of it, despite the structural stresses being exactly opposite what's necessary to withstand a vacuum.

Step 3.) Patent flying submarine capable of traveling 100 km/minute.

Step 4.) Profit.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!