Cancer...yet another good reason not to get tapeworms

Started by steve58, November 05, 2015, 03:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

:o
Centers for Disease Control researchers say it is one of the strangest and most unsettling cases they have ever encountered. The researchers say that scans of a very ill man in Colombia revealed what "looked like cancer, but the tumors were composed of cells that were not human," NPR reports. The tumors had come from the man's resident tapeworm, which had developed cancer and somehow spread the disease to its host, according to the scientists, whose study published in the New England Journal of Medicine describes the "invasion of human tissue by abnormal, proliferating, genetically altered tapeworm cells" as a "novel disease mechanism." The man died 72 hours after researchers pinpointed the cause of the tumors, Live Science reports.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/05/man-killed-by-his-tapeworm-cancer/75207608/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Freyland

They could have saved him if they had just applied duct tape worms in time!

LongBlade

How is Star going to maintain his girlish figure now?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

QuoteNo diet-no baths-no exercise!

What did they have against baths back then?

(aside from having to reuse the bath water 5 or 6 times, from Paterfamilias on down the the littlest ones)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

eyebiter

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 05, 2015, 09:13:06 PM
QuoteNo diet-no baths-no exercise!

What did they have against baths back then?

(aside from having to reuse the bath water 5 or 6 times, from Paterfamilias on down the the littlest ones)

When you had to pay to have fresh water delivered to the cistern, it was an expensive luxury.