Wonderful Deep Space Nine

Started by mirth, December 08, 2016, 06:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I never got into Babylon 5. A coworker at my last job let me borrow the full DVD set because she was a huge fan of it, but I never watched it. I did catch an episode or two here and there, but it wasn't anything that impressed me.

DS9, though, is hands down my favorite ST series.

bbmike

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 09, 2016, 06:54:29 PM
I never got into Babylon 5. A coworker at my last job let me borrow the full DVD set because she was a huge fan of it, but I never watched it. I did catch an episode or two here and there, but it wasn't anything that impressed me.

#2 for me. TOS is still #1.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

TOS is good...I grew up watching that. Won't forget the late Saturday nights watching SNL back in the late 70s/early 80s and then TOS came on immediately after.

Not sure I liked the remastered TOS episodes, though I did get The Doomsday Machine through iTunes (the remastered version) of it, because the ships were gorgeous, even the broken ones.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bbmike on December 09, 2016, 06:59:47 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 09, 2016, 06:54:29 PM

#2 for me. TOS is still #1.  :smitten:

+1
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

DS9 was my overall favorite as well, especially the later seasons. It wasn't afraid to get messy.

DS9 also included the one episode that, for me anyway, beat TNG's outstanding 'Chains of Command' (four lights or five?). It was where we found out why Julian Bashir was so gifted- his parents had him illegally modified during childhood when they found out he was mentally deficient. It all struck very close to home for me.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tpek

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 09, 2016, 07:04:17 PM
TOS is good...I grew up watching that. Won't forget the late Saturday nights watching SNL back in the late 70s/early 80s and then TOS came on immediately after.

Not sure I liked the remastered TOS episodes, though I did get The Doomsday Machine through iTunes (the remastered version) of it, because the ships were gorgeous, even the broken ones.

Why would someone want to watch a "remastered TOS" episode?
Part of the entertainment is seeing how cheesy the props and costumes look :P

DoctorQuest

+1

I'm very glad I got the first (non-remastered) DVD sets of TOS when they were released. While the remastered episodes were very well done they just aren't the same.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

I think the blu ray sets have both versions so you can choose. I also prefer the original effects to the computer enhanced ones.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak