3rd Stuka Found

Started by LongBlade, June 15, 2012, 08:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Apparently there used to be only two fully intact Stukas in the world. Now a 3rd has been found in the Baltic and is being raised.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/06/12/german-divers-recover-stuka-bomber-radiator-from-baltic-sea-floor/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Nice.

I've always admired the design of the Stuka.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Very cool. Hard to imagine only two were left. I would have guessed that the Russians had some kicking around. Don't they have a sizeable collection of WW2 German equipment they keep on display?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

^Yeah, good point Mirthy - they certainly have quite a collection of German armour, albeit mostly in a rather decrepit condition.

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Booo!  Well, okay, it's still pretty cool.

Centurion40

Hmmm.

Stuka:

Ju-88

We're not dealing with experts, are we?

bob48

I only looked at the one picture of the wreckage, and I did not think that there were sufficient visual clues to establish what the aircraft is, so I'll reserve judgement.

'Clip those corners'

Centurion40

Not jumping to a conclusion shows wisdom.

mirth

The guys doing the recovery seem pretty sure it's an 88 based on the wing section they recovered. The initial evaluation of it being a Ju-87 was based on underwater pictures.

bob48

Either way, its a rare aircraft, I doubt there will be many Ju88's around either.

Talking German aircraft - its not many years ago that a Ju52 visited Newcastle airport, and spent several days doing flying tours. As it happens, I only live about 5 miles away, so we were lucky enough to see it buzzing around on several occasions, it has very strange sound with those three engines.

Whilst I'm in a mood to reminisce, if you will indulge an old fella, the best aircraft sound ever was a low pass by a Mosquito at an air show at RAF Luchars - those twin Merlins were just incredible. It was a pretty memorable day, since I got to stand beside a B1 bomber, and had a chat with an A10 Warthog pilot, his aircraft being on the static display line.

And Mrs Bob talked her way into a Chinook (she loves Chinooks!) where she sat in the Boss's seat and was given the 'grand tour' by the crew chief.

All-in-all, a splendid day :-))

'Clip those corners'

mirth

Great stories, Bob! I'd love to see a Ju52 or Mosquito. I've seen more of the modern types up close.

bob48

We have been to the Luchars show a couple of times, and it used to be quite a big event. I have loads of 'photo's, but no digital ones unfortunately. Lots of 'modern' stuff, including an F15 and a display by a Dutch F16 which was quite something. Other nice stuff was a restored Dauntless and a PBY Catalina, and a flypast by 'the last' Vulcan, which was just stupendous. What else? - oh aye, an Avro Shackleton, just before they went out of service, and 'Black Mike', the last F4 Phantom in service with the RAF - a fabulous aircraft - painted in a special all black livery.

Then all the usual stuff - the Battle of Britain flight, Spit, Hurri and Lanc, Tornado's, Jaguars, choppers - Red Arrows - wonderful - think its time for me to fire up FSX.............and get pootling around the wild blue yonder!

'Clip those corners'

besilarius

If it had been a Stuka - in the Baltic, how neat would it have been to have found one of the twenty fitted out for service on the Graf Zeppelin aircraft carrier. 
Had special landing gear.  If you think about ditching in the water, the danger was enormous with the fixed gear.  A plane would easily cartwheel, and probbaly end up in the drink, upside down.
So these rare birds had explosive charges in the langing gear roots, to blow off the legs, and allow a smooth water landing.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 15, 2012, 12:19:06 PM
Booo!  Well, okay, it's still pretty cool.

Something about that bug-like cupola makes it look cool. That, the HE-111 and a couple more are kinda neat. At some point I'll probably pick up a model kit and try to do it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.