And you think YOU have problems.......

Started by DoctorQuest, February 01, 2017, 11:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

From an email I got this morning at work...

As many of you may have heard, we have an issue with squirrels getting into engine compartments of vehicles parked in our lot and damaging components.  Facilities has checked into different options to eliminate the issue but have not found a solution.  As you also may have heard, the company will not reimburse for any repairs due to this issue.

If anyone has any suggestions/solutions, please send them to our attention as we continue to try to come up with a solution to the problem. 

I want to bring my Airsoft pistol to work. I feel like Han Solo dealing with Mynocks.......
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Freyland

Stop storing nuts next to your carburetor?

bbmike

It happened to me a couple of years age:

They did over $1K in damage!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Freyland on February 01, 2017, 11:53:34 AM
Stop storing nuts next to your carburetor?

Oh, please. My truck has fuel injectors. That way my engine doesn't cut out when I dive away from the Hun.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

That's why I leave my engine running 24/7. If the squirrels get in there, then the heat from the engine will cook them nice and evenly by the next day. My Doctor says squirrels are high in cholesterol so I should have a salad with them.  ;)  Seriously, we have that a lot here in Florida and there's not much you can do to prevent it if your workplace won't do anything about the squirrels. But they should.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Buy bulk containers of cayenne powder and liberally distribute over the inside of your engine compartment. That will keep them from chewing on anything. They might still sleep there if it's cold.

To discourage them from even sleeping there use moth balls but that is not pleasant for humans either.

JasonPratt

There are a couple varities of ultrasound generator that can be hooked up under the hood to discourage climbing animals (cats, possums, coons) -- might work on squirrels, too?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on February 01, 2017, 11:56:59 AM
It happened to me a couple of years age:

They did over $1K in damage!

Yep!

I had the exact same thing done to mine by a possum.

Built a nest on top of my engine and proceeded to chew every damn electric wire out of it.  In no time.

Ended up costing well over $1K to rewire the whole damn thing.  Because the SoB came back a few days later, after getting it fixed, and did it again to some extent.

My solution:

After the second time, I bought a big critter trap at Lowe's.  Placed it near my vehicle, in the direction I'm sure it came from.  Baited with a 1/4 slice of bread. 

Caught the F'er in the trap within a few hours, that same night.  I knew what had to be done to keep it from repeatedly coming back and/or doing it to others.  Surprising how little the sound of a .22 carries through walls, even in a quiet suburban neighborhood at night.

Problem solved.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 02, 2017, 09:41:05 AM
There are a couple varities of ultrasound generator that can be hooked up under the hood to discourage climbing animals (cats, possums, coons) -- might work on squirrels, too?

So you're talking Death Ray, right?  :coolsmiley:

Sir Slash

You can also get a couple of Rottweilers and chain them to the front of your car. After they chase away the squirrels they can also pull your vehicle. Double score!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

If you're counting on 'Facilities' to help you, you're doomed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I have a 20gage that can solve your squirrel issues.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

besilarius

There is a report that Chinese industrial firms are using drones fitted with flamethrowers to clean power lines...

Just sayin'.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.