Battle of Leipzig

Started by besilarius, December 31, 2017, 06:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/monument-to-the-battle-of-the-nations

Don't think I have ever heard of this.  Looks like a concept set by Peter Jackson.
Think I sense the adept hand of kaiser Wilhelm in this.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I must've missed the part where Napoleon 'surrendered' there. Maybe that's a German History version. Cool monument though.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

It does look pretty impressive. Wouldn't the 'empty crypt' technically be a cenotaph?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Cyrano

It amazes me that something that bloody big has been "rediscovered" by way of that article.

I've received a number of inquiries from friends re: "hey, did you know about this??!!" and have been able to share the 200+ photographs I took of thing while I was there in August.  I've even got a teensy model of it on my desk at work.

The statue of St. Michael that greets one on the outside is not to be messed with.

The four epic figures inside -- each representing a German martial virtue -- have toe nails the size of my son's head.  I have proof of this.

One of my favorite bits is that the artist who did all the sculpture -- yes all -- went a bit daft and turned on the style that he used through much of the Denkmal. There are smaller works around door frames and the like that are much gentler; softer, I guess.

I went to Leipzig looking for this thing and was enthralled by it.  I very much want to go back.

It's a reality check for folks like me, though, that many in Leipzig don't know what this gigantic thing is for or any of the details of the battle.

Oh, and the museum on the ground floor is first rate and includes, among many other items, Marshall Poniatowski's saddle.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Sir Slash

He was killed there as I recall. Would love to see it personally. Is the battlefield preserved at all?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cyrano

I am authorized now to show pictures.

He died trying to cross the Elster during the evacuation after the battle.  This is my son and I at the monument that's situated in a small park near where he died.

The Elster through Leipzig has been heavily channelized -- a portion of it is now a public "green" park -- and it's hard to imagine it being an obstacle sufficient to kill a man.  Based on the research I brought with, he'd have died right about here:

The short answer to your question, in my own judgment, is no.  Which I found frustrating and a bit heart breaking.  The city is now much grown and the Apelsteine are incredibly difficult to find.  Some of them hiding out in street medians or planters in front of stores.  My son and I had a good time with them, but only the obsessive need apply.  As I say, even Probstheida, which was well to the South of the city proper at the time is now part of municipal Leipzig.

The view from the very top of the Denkmal is spectacular and, with map in hand, at least gives you a sense of how big that battlefield was.

To the far South, I will say, there are cool things to see.  I climbed to the top of the Galgenberg and could imagine some of the fighting around Liebertwolkwitz, although the Monarchshuegel is now safely nestled in a subdivision making any attempt to see what they would have seen there pointless.

And then there's the Torhaus Dolitz.  It is, I believe, the last authentic piece of the battlefield left to us.  It's at the far southwest tip of the battle, but marked a place where, returning to our theme, Poniatowski, defended the eponymous manor from Austrian attack in the early stages of the battle.  The manor is gone, but the gatehouse is still there.  The Elster flowing in front of it gives you a sense of what might have drowned Poniatowski with its very swift current and uncertain banks.  Inside, there's the largest and coolest set of tin soldier dioramas I've ever seen.  Were I to win the lottery, I would buy it.

This is the view of the gatehouse looking over the bridge and the Elster into the courtyard.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cyrano

Oh, and if by "it" you meant the saddle (which I doubt), here it is from the museum at the Denkmal.

Along with my son mourning the Marshal's loss.

Sir Slash

Thank you Cyrano for posting those great pics. Very sad so little is thought of this important battle in German history-- the largest of the entire Napoleonic Campaigns if I remember correctly. You have a good-looking boy and it's great you & he are getting to see where history occurred together.  O0