Undercover Wargamers in the Workplace?

Started by rustyshackleford, February 04, 2021, 11:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyshackleford

My team at work recently hired some new people shortly before Christmas who participated in our "Secret Santa".  Imagine my surprise when one of the new guys' interests was: "I like boardgames. Specifically strategy games like Risk"

I GOTTA PLAY THIS COOL.

Now, do I immediately go off the deep end and ask him if he thinks the Allied Proximity Fuse shells in Grigsby's "A World at War" are a worthy tech pursuit in '42, or do I feel things out with an "Oh Risk huh? Cool...
ever play a game called "Axis and Allies"?

;D :D

Tripoli

Go with the proximity shells.   No guts, no glory.  :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Tread lightly at the risk of scaring them away.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

He's clearly our kind of dork and was just playing it cool by mentioning Risk. I say, go big or go home. Be loud and proud. What is the worst thing that can happen? He looks at you funny? That happens to me several times a day.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I agree.  If he is hinting he likes board games hit him hard.  But if he truly only likes games like Risk don't make him feel small about it.  Instead try to encourage him to become a hardcore wargamer by pointing out games like World In Flames is sort of like Risk. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on February 04, 2021, 02:21:34 PM
I agree.  If he is hinting he likes board games hit him hard.  But if he truly only likes games like Risk don't make him feel small about it.  Instead try to encourage him to become a hardcore wargamer by pointing out games like World In Flames is sort of like Risk.

...and direct him to Grogheads!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 04, 2021, 02:36:28 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 04, 2021, 02:21:34 PM

...and direct him to Grogheads!

Just make sure you thoroughly vet him before you give him the link to the fabled Grogheads "front page".   ^-^
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on February 04, 2021, 03:03:49 PM
Too bad it's a 'he.'

Oh I see.  If it was a 'she' you could have asked something like this, "Hey baby you like squared or clipped counters?"
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Or ask if she wants to see your dongle. Tell her it's a multiport, that'll impress her. It sure would me. I'd go with Gus, Rusty. Reel him in easy at first, then set the hook with a rousing tale of triumph over a Total War or Field of Glory digital enemy. If that doesn't work, throw him back.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.