France and UK Arguing Over Fishing Rights Around Jersey

Started by Gusington, May 06, 2021, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Warships have been deployed to the waters around Jersey by both France and the Royal Navy...facing off against each other.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/06/uk/britain-france-war-ships-jersey-cmd-intl-gbr/index.html

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

This is IMHO the most important part of the story :

The UK is holding critical elections on Thursday (=today) amid a swath of scandals surrounding Johnson's government. Menon notes that "this is almost a perfect story for Johnson. He gets to appear tough on France, which goes down well with his core, while also taking the moral highground and talk of de-escalation."

There is a longer-term risk of Johnson's Brexit looking increasingly rushed and flawed. Water disputes with France are far from the only fallout from leaving the EU. After these local elections, Johnson is going to have a hell of a job keeping his country together, as the four nations of the UK are pulling increasingly in different directions. In Scotland, this might mean leaving the UK. In Northern Ireland, this might mean a return to deadly sectarian violence.
However, as things stand on Thursday, circumstance appears to have gifted Johnson a golden PR opportunity on a day he would otherwise be banned from creating news that might affect how people vote.

Also : it looks like around 2 hours ago the  UK ships were called back to harbor.

al_infierno

I guess some old rivalries are never settled, eh?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2021, 02:11:42 PM
This has CMANO scenario written all over it.

lol, that was my first thought too  ^-^

Command - Fishy Fire is a new DLC release for Command: Modern Operations.
Fifteen hypothetical campaign scenarios recreates a near future conflict between the world's two most volatile nuclear nemeses: UK and France around Jersey.
Adds 23 different Fishing trawlers of both nations from the epoch to the game. 

Pete Dero

Quote from: MikeGER on May 07, 2021, 04:12:31 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2021, 02:11:42 PM
This has CMANO scenario written all over it.

lol, that was my first thought too  ^-^

Command - Fishy Fire is a new DLC release for Command: Modern Operations.
Fifteen hypothetical campaign scenarios recreates a near future conflict between the world's two most volatile nuclear nemeses: UK and France around Jersey.
Adds 23 different Fishing trawlers of both nations from the epoch to the game.

It won't sell.   Everybody in the US expects France to surrender 2 minutes in.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2021, 09:04:06 AM
Not people who know a little history.

Internet memes beat real history far too often.

Gusington

Not here, in these hollowed wargaming virtual halls.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs