Friday: the what youd like to play but will end up playing something else thread

Started by undercovergeek, September 28, 2012, 09:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Barthheart on September 28, 2012, 09:59:12 AM
Probably some Civ IV Colonization - Started playing again after finding this cool mod (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19763) that makes the game a little more interesting.
I really suck at this game but I can't stop trying to get better.  :P

Let us know how that is.  I wanted to like Civ IV Colonization but it just seemed broken to me.

I recently was suckered in by a STEAM sale and got Wargame: European Escalation so I'll be giving that a go this weekend when I have time to game.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

TCT, I think Toonces mentioned Wargame.  If you get a chance, give us an idea of what you think.  RTS's are good MP and I'm looking for a game and partners.

The love of my life is otherwise occupied this weekend, so, I will be picking up my CKII again.  Fourth try is the charm :-)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

Wargame:EE is fun, but you can't get too wrapped up in the whole "realism" thing because although it doesn have some aspects of realism it's not realistic.  The more I play it, the more I think it really is just a really fun RTS game with modern toys. 

What I hate about it right now is that you have to unlock everything which is a real bummer.  So you start with a basic set of units available but have to unlock other units by completing missions and getting "command stars".  You unlock units and build a "deck" of units from which to draw, set up a match with a certain point value, and then purchase those units in your deck each of which has a point cost associated with it.  Fairly typical RTS stuff except the unlocking.

I haven't tried MP, but I think if you did it against a fellow wargamer it would be fun.  I've read a lot of complaints about playing MP against kids that just spam units, but since I haven't tried it, I don't have any thoughts pro or con.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Everything looks too hard tonight.  I think I'm just going to boot up M2TW and maybe a little WiTP:AE.  I just don't feel like struggling with a new game system this evening...I just want to PLAY!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

I'm ass deep in Germans in CMBN, the last couple of battles of the Road to Monteborg campaign. These last fights are brutal, triple-deep defenses flanked by minefields and I've only got 2 little companies of soldiers and some arty along with 4 tiny tanks to get through them. So if I'm getting my butt handed back to me too much, I'll switch to NTW.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rekim

I've had a hankering for some good old fashion Axis & Allies all week, and it's been over a year since I have blown the dust off of my A&A 1940 Europe/Pacific boxes. That 5ft wide map board is a sight to behold when the two are setup together. Alas, I have 36 hours of shifts to work this weekend and will have to wait to play another day.

MetalDog

Thanks, Toonces.  I love a good MP RTS battle.  I'm not a twitch gamer, but I find the length it takes for a typical RTS skirmish is what another person(s) are willing to give to a play session.  I prefer TBS games, but it's hard to find an opponent who has the time and intestinal fortitude to sit for hours to play a good TBS game.

Kushan

Didn't play anything last night. Finished reading Robert K. Massie's "Dreadnaught" for the second time.

The rest of my weekend will be a split between Skyrim, AJE, and Crusader Kings 2. I broke down and bought Dawnguard the other day, only so I could get some of my mods to work correctly. Starting my 3rd new character since June, because my other two games got corrupted somehow. I'm thinking of starting a new game of CK2 with some gameplay mods. Think I'm going to play William Duke of Normandy and see if I can pull off the invasion of England. My Tuscany campaign has kind of broken down. Made some mistakes, will try to form the Kingdom of Italy again when the new patch and expansion comes out.

Games I may also play: Guild Wars 2, Aurora, Fallen Enchantress Beta.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Oche

I've been playing both WINSPMBT and WINSPWW2 as usual, would like to do a couple of missions of Strike Fighters 2 with NATO Fighters mod and maybe even a short airliner flight in FSX.

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on September 29, 2012, 09:22:06 AM
it's hard to find an opponent who has the time and intestinal fortitude to sit for hours to play a good TBS game.

i consider my intestinal fortitude one of my greatest assets, except after KFC it turns out - the colonels blend of 22 secret herbs and spices dont like me

what did you have in mind? do you have a list? and i can kick your ass all the way from over here!

Toonces

Kushan,
Make sure you post your impressions of Skyrim.  That was a really happy 20 hours of gaming for me.  I think I logged another 5 hours after Dawnguard was finished before I lost interest in Skyrim again.  Dawnguard really kept me focused and on-task.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on September 28, 2012, 07:07:31 PM
TCT, I think Toonces mentioned Wargame.  If you get a chance, give us an idea of what you think.  RTS's are good MP and I'm looking for a game and partners.

Quote from: Toonces on September 28, 2012, 09:06:22 PM
Wargame:EE is fun, but you can't get too wrapped up in the whole "realism" thing because although it doesn have some aspects of realism it's not realistic.  The more I play it, the more I think it really is just a really fun RTS game with modern toys. 

What I hate about it right now is that you have to unlock everything which is a real bummer.  So you start with a basic set of units available but have to unlock other units by completing missions and getting "command stars".  You unlock units and build a "deck" of units from which to draw, set up a match with a certain point value, and then purchase those units in your deck each of which has a point cost associated with it.  Fairly typical RTS stuff except the unlocking.

I haven't tried MP, but I think if you did it against a fellow wargamer it would be fun.  I've read a lot of complaints about playing MP against kids that just spam units, but since I haven't tried it, I don't have any thoughts pro or con.

Thanks, Toonces.  I love a good MP RTS battle.  I'm not a twitch gamer, but I find the length it takes for a typical RTS skirmish is what another person(s) are willing to give to a play session.  I prefer TBS games, but it's hard to find an opponent who has the time and intestinal fortitude to sit for hours to play a good TBS game.

I've only played a little bit but so far Toonces' impressions seem accurate.  I looks like it could be a fun MP with guys you know.  The only thing I am kind of iffy about is the graphic elevation changes.  The tiered elevation instead of smooth hills kind of bothers me aesthetically.  Once I get a bit more time with it I'll try and let you guys know what I think.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

Thanks, TCT.  Looking forward to it.

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 29, 2012, 12:24:23 PM
it's hard to find an opponent who has the time and intestinal fortitude to sit for hours to play a good TBS game.

i consider my intestinal fortitude one of my greatest assets, except after KFC it turns out - the colonels blend of 22 secret herbs and spices dont like me

what did you have in mind? do you have a list? and i can kick your ass all the way from over here!

I'm best at Civ IV.  I just bought Warlock when I got CKII.  Haven't tried it yet.  I'm really enjoying CKII, but I don't know how good I am.  HOI2:Doomsday is a favorite.  A couple of RTS I like, too.

spelk

Quote from: spelk on September 28, 2012, 03:49:33 PM
I want to play Alea Jacta Est, but my mind is frazzled with a heavy cold at the moment, so I've just been idling a bit in Guild Wars 2, with a dabbling on the side of FTL.

After all my best laid plans to play AJE, I eventually spent all night playing on Armageddon Empires instead. Pah!

Toonces

Well, I did it.  I finished the main quest in Skyrim.

Total play time was 117 hours (including Dawnguard) and I was level 31 at completion. 

Whew.  I'm sort of emotionally drained now.  The last couple hours were fairly intense and a lot of hard work.  I think I'm going to take a break now, maybe buy Field of Glory from Matrix and try something totally new.

Good run.  That was a lot of fun.  I'm not done with Skyrim yet, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  My guy's pretty bad ass right now so I don't know how much challenge any remaining portions of the game will be at this point.