The weekend is here - WHATCHA Playing?

Started by JudgeDredd, October 05, 2012, 05:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Well - I picked up DCS BS 2 again the other day and I've decided to try (again) and get back into it - hopefully having more staying power than before.

The problem with the sims is I love the sim aspect - but they are so complicated and deep. I always start by saying I'll be systematic with the learning....learn to fly and hold, learn to hit with cannon...then rockets, then missiles...but I generally fire it up, go for a fly, fight with the controls and die.

I will TRY DESPERATELY to do it systematically this time...there's a fantastic sim there waiting to be used and abused.

Also the new AGEoD game...I actually fired it up a couple of days ago and played for about 3 hours. I didn't have a clue what I was doing or what I had to do and it looks like I'm going to get my arse kicked...but I've decided not to do what I did with all previous AGEoD games - start a game, get lost, lose lots of battles and quite...so I'm playing this one out until I work out what I'm doing - imminent death or not.

I've also got my B-17 to finish off. I can't do a lot during the week because the light is quite bad so in the autumn/winter model making is reserved for the weekends. I'll also be making a start on my P-40.
Alba gu' brath

MetalDog

Civ IV MP, CKII and maybe bust out Civ V that was so generously donated to me by one of our very own.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

soccer
soccer
soccer
go to football game
soccer
soccer

Bayonet Jr has a tournament this weekend

finally got around to playtesting the civ-building boardgame I've been working on.  basic mechanics are sound, but the combat system needed tweaking while we were testing, so I may pound on a few battles in that this weekend to test some more
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tuna

Had a really great game of AGEOD Civil War last week, gave it another play after watching those Videos.. I can tell you, I have not had as much fun in a game in a loooong time. So of course I picked up AJE this week.. Will be getting some time into that.. Want to play some MP CLoD with a friend, hopefully that comes through. Bummed that X-Com is not released till after the long weekend  :(

undercovergeek

a CMBN PBEM - massive 12000 point game - my Fireflys are just plinking shots off Panthers armour and then getting toasted by the return fire - need some sneakier tactics i think

a CMBN tournament PBEM, round 1 of 3 - theres only 8 minutes left to play but my opponent has gone on holiday, im left with the turn to ponder who will win, i hold the church, the bridge, 'monument hill', and 2 farms - by far and away the best CBMN game, and possibly the most immersive, dramatic game of anything ive played in a long while - the force selection and map has been awesome

a CMFI PBEM - just about to crush my opponent for the second time in a PBEM - i didnt realise i had done so well until i started sneaking an elite assault squad round the back of his lines - dead Germans everywhere

CKII - some Brandenburg AAR and some more turns of Parma for LB

hopefully some AoW Shadow Magic, still too scared of ProN until i can lock myself in a soundproof box for a few hours - heart wants XCOM, head says no

Gusington

Perhaps finish Thief III, gird my loins for Dishonored, and getting drunk in Boston.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I've got a Flames of War minis game scheduled today. Looking forward to that.

Tonight I think I'll fire up Guild Wars 2 and see if I can melt the new video card in here. I'm also going to try and get a review copy of War of the Roses and see how the full game looks.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Again I am stuck working most of the weekend.    :(  However if I do find some time I'll try to get some Wargame: EE in as well as some BF3.  Also there is a pile of unpainted minis I need to get to.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Rayfer

Will be playing Decisive Campaigns Case Blue...picked it up earlier in the week with the Matrix 25% off coupon.

Greybriar

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 05, 2012, 05:36:04 AM
The weekend is here - WHATCHA Playing?

Mostly World of WarCraft: Mists of Pandaria--I have a lot of leveling to do and skills to advance due to the expansion. A bit of EVE Online, if my friends are on. Not sure what else; probably some retro single player games, if anything.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

tgb

AJE
The new build for a beta test I'm part of but can't discuss
Shopping around for the best pre-order price on XCOM

JasonPratt

While I lust rather badly for some of the new games out there, I am currently holding (mostly) to a resolve to play the giant stack of things I already have.

Last weekend I fired up an old copy of Demon's Souls for the first time. I'm.... probably going to move along to some other game this weekend. Dunno. Will give it another shot. I appreciate what it's trying to do with a gameplay model that rewards thinking about how to best to attack and defend against the enemy. (D'sS is a third-or-first person fantasy action rpg, like Skyrim but tougher and not remotely as deep in many ways but with a curious online presence where you can occasionally see other players, or memories of them, working their way through the levels and leaving messages to help other players--or even briefly joining a game to help or grief you! It recently spawned a reportedly better sequel/remake, Dark Souls.)

However, the game design intentionally lends itself to a high level of repetition in the missions and areas. When I've been there and done that 15 times already, just about exactly the same every time, I naturally feel like it's time to move on.

Unsure of what I'll fire up next. Aside from a ton of PC wargames (some of them stacked next to the computer), I still have a ton of PS3 games, too, to work through. I may split the difference by taking another stab at the R.U.S.E. mission I'm currently stuck on, or trying to get a little further in Bladestorm (a game I ought to utterly love, being a fan of Koei's Kessen series, of which this is basically Kessen 4 set for the first time in Europe--but which I cannot for the life of me manage to stay very interested in.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: Tuna on October 05, 2012, 06:20:42 AM
Had a really great game of AGEOD Civil War last week, gave it another play after watching those Videos.. I can tell you, I have not had as much fun in a game in a loooong time. So of course I picked up AJE this week.. Will be getting some time into that.. Want to play some MP CLoD with a friend, hopefully that comes through. Bummed that X-Com is not released till after the long weekend  :(

AJE PBEM, ROF (floatplane! Barge bombing!), LOMAC (maybe), Third Wire (maybe), paper Harpoon 4.1 (maybe).

CLoD sounds fun.  If it is still around when I get a new computer in March, I'll be playing it I hope.

FlickJax

Civ 5, world of tanks, maybe some torchlight II

Sir Slash

CMBN- The Road to Monteborg. Still struggling to finish-off this campaign. Five min. left in the current battle and have 1 more vic. location to secure. Problem is, it's 2 bunkers, trenches, 81mm mortar teams and infantry. And I'm all out of arty. It's gonna be real close and this a must win to complete the campaign. Otherwise I'm reading O'Reilly's new book, "Killing Kennedy" when I need a break.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.