Wanted: Stealth Bullets

Started by LongBlade, November 21, 2012, 10:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

An interesting request is going out for quieter bullets.

QuoteIn its latest round of small-business solicitations, the Pentagon's Special Operations Command, or SOCOM, is seeking out subsonic ammunition. The reason, according to the solicitation, is to "provide superior covert and stealth capabilities" for not only the military, but police forces and the Department of Homeland Security. In theory, and for rifles in the 5.56, 7.62 and .338 calibers, the bullets will travel at low enough velocities to avoid breaking the sound barrier, thus creating no "crack" noise. Breaking the sound barrier also pretty much negates the use of a sound suppressor, or "silencer," which the special forces would likely want to use against militants in Afghanistan and around the world.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/20/tech/innovation/subsonic-bullets-wired/index.html?hpt=hp_c3
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

QuoteThe reason, according to the solicitation, is to "provide superior covert and stealth capabilities" for not only the military, but police forces and the Department of Homeland Security.

Because they really need to sneaking around and shooting people with out anyone hearing or seeing them??? :o
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on November 21, 2012, 10:12:37 AM
QuoteThe reason, according to the solicitation, is to "provide superior covert and stealth capabilities" for not only the military, but police forces and the Department of Homeland Security.

Because they really need to sneaking around and shooting people with out anyone hearing or seeing them??? :o

I saw that but decide not to point out the obvious...again. Budget cuts will eventually catch up with them as will the pendulum of the law. Someday the 4th Amendment will be followed again. Until then we watch and make sure that nothing beyond privacy is harmed.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

There is a 100+year old solution to their dilemma... .45 ACP

Staggerwing

Quote from: eyebiter on November 21, 2012, 01:28:02 PM
There is a 100+year old solution to their dilemma... .45 ACP

Wouldn't that depend on what barrel length it's fired out of? Also, being pistol ammo it wouldn't be as accurate at long ranges as 223 and 308 and the like would it?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys