More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 02, 2013, 10:52:59 AM
Also, as a medieval historian, I sort of agree with this. Those lit majors didn't let little things like historical fact or actual context get in the way of their analysis of Canterbury Tales against Lord of the Rings...

Hey, I'm with you. Chaucer was obviously inspired by Tolkien.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Windigo on May 02, 2013, 12:04:45 PM
there should be warning labels in College/University calenders associated with certain majors.

WARNING: Successful completion of this program is unlikely to secure employment within this area of study. It is intended for amusement and education only.

Actually those strange literature people seem to be able to find jobs!
Quote from: Centurion40 on May 02, 2013, 02:59:07 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on May 02, 2013, 12:26:28 PM
SoM?

My 1st year English prof did this!  He especially loved Juvenal's "Satires".  There's some dirty shit in there! 

I used to teach my kids about Catullus's poem where he says, in Latin, he is going to "skull-bang" and "make you my submissive" to two dudes that criticized him. Best Latin poem ever.

But I always point out the dirty parts of history. Come on, humanity has always been driven by the Three F's - Food, Fighting, and Sexual Intercourse.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

BTW, if anyone wants to read that Latin poem, it is Catullus 16. It is well worth the look, but I can't print the translation here...
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

GDS_Starfury

no one wants to read latin.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Bison

Quote from: Keunert on May 02, 2013, 09:06:55 AM
i have a nagging suspiscion that either Bison or Harley made that joke about SoM.

Noted. 

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 03, 2013, 05:55:34 AM

That's funny.

That cat is also about how I look the last couple of days. The allergies here are killing me.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

and one my new favorites...

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -