Land combat questions

Started by Toonces, March 10, 2013, 11:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I'm not sure the Combined Arms in the 20th Century is exactly what I'm looking for.  I checked it out on Amazon and while it sounds interesting, the focus might not be as tight as what I'm looking for.  Again, if you're ever read Shaw's Fighter Combat, I'm looking for a land combat version of that book, if you know what I mean.

The reference books sound awesome and I'll just need to sort through those to find the best one for my needs.

That other book, Red Thrust, sound very interesting, although I'm still not sure it's what I need.  But it sounds like a good, fun book to read anyway.

I think what I'm looking for is more of an actual Field Manual.  The book I want might not even be available via unclassified or non-DoD sources.  I'm just very new to this genre, so maybe I don't even know what it is I want.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

ok I think I got ya now.  what your looking for and what you think your looking for are 2 different things.
start from the very beginning, its a very good place to start.

FWIW try to support this booksite:

www.rzm.com
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

not the same book but...

http://www.rzm.com/books/fp/panzertaktik.cfm

actually I need to get that book!

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

bob48

'Clip those corners'

GDS_Starfury

bob48

wot?

Not the right one?

did I faux pas?

Thats French for 'balls-up' btw.

'Clip those corners'

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on March 14, 2013, 04:27:17 PM
wot?

Not the right one?

did I faux pas?

Thats French for 'balls-up' btw.

I thought it meant "pretending to pass gas."
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

Ok, the Panzertaktik book is exactly what I'm looking for...or close enough to it that it will get me closer to what I'm looking for after I read it.

So I ordered Panzertaktik, Red Thrust, and the Encyclopedia by Foss.  That should be enough to start my study of land warfare.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

<--- will not make a red thrust joke.  I only do that once a month.

besilarius

If it's manuals, didn't someone post a link to buy a set of CDs for about100 army manuals about a month ago?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I don't understand land combat either. I am an air power kind of guy from a young age. The strange thing is, most games are primarily ground forces so you get a fair amount of exposure to the systems of the armies. I'm speaking amateur gamer of course, not real military, which brings up my question about land combat. Why would a modern country expose it's troops to that level of hell? The guerrilla counter strategies seem well developed from Vietnam forward. Army against army I can understand. At some point someone loses so it devolves into a resistance/ guerrilla action. It seems the only successes against that are China which plants thousands into living in the area. Then they can support police actions to counter. Anything else seems doomed. If you have no intention of settling the area what are you doing? Besides burning large amounts of money. And lives.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

that really depends on what country in being invaded and how the invading army behaves.  the rules seems to be different for Europe then some 3rd world shithole.  I think part of that is the idea that 1st world nations have more to lose with a post occupation insurgency.  another issue is the size of todays military forces.  without fielding something on the scale of a WW2 army you just cant occupy a country effectivly and that makes guerrilla forces much more effective.  this is especially true because a modern miltary cant take the actions they could have 100 years ago to fight irregular forces.