Here's an esoteric one - Balkan Wars

Started by DeathTouchWilly, March 12, 2013, 02:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathTouchWilly

So I'm finally reading up on Balkan history which is complicated and LONG. Since you guys read tons of military/history books I'd be remiss if I didn't ask if anyone had read anything enjoyable about the history of the Balkans. It can be as recent as Kosovo or it could be from antiquity. Just looking to assemble a reading list.

LongBlade

It doesn't deal exclusively with the Balkans, but has extensive coverage of some happenings there - albeit with a focus on the muslim incursions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1573922471/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1573922471&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

Definitely worth a read.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Gusington

I read and enjoyed Balkan Ghosts....it gets a lot of criticism but I enjoyed it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

There are a couple of great books on the Canadian Battle at the Medak Pocket. This my favourite:

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Ghosts-Medak-Pocket-Canadas/dp/0679312943

Another one is called Tested Mettle - here is a little blurb on it:

http://www.balkanpeace.org/index.php?index=/content/testimonies/wctc/wctc14.incl

besilarius

If you want background on the deep seated feelings of the inhabitants of the Balkans, A Time of Parting by Anton Donchev, is a great read.
Nothing good happens to anyone in the story, and you understand why all outsiders are hated,
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

DeathTouchWilly

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Most of these books are actually sitting on my desk in the "To Be Read" pile. The Medak Pocket books I haven't heard about. I'm reading in chronological order but when I get up to the most recent (of many) Balkan Wars I think these two will be on the list.

MIGMaster

Both of those modern titles really tie the recent conflicts to the convoluted history of the region. Sounds like you have some good reading ahead.