This is Weird even By Our Standards: Codex Seraphinianus

Started by bayonetbrant, October 17, 2013, 11:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://the-dimka.livejournal.com/6645.html

Quotein the late 70s italian architect, illustrator and industrial designer luigi serafini made a book, an encyclopedia of unknown, parallel world. it's about 360-380 pages. it is written in an unknown language, using an unknown alphabet. it took him 30 month to complete that masterpiece that many might call "the strangest book on earth". codex seraphinianus is divided to 11 chapters and two parts - first one is about nature and the second one is about people.
btw five hundred years ago there was another book somewhat like that - voynich manuscript.

you gotta follow the link for more images...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Huh.  The writing looks like a cross between Arabic and Elvish. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Homeboy was in the tank with plenty of mind-altering chems, apparently.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

W8taminute

Apparently no one has cracked the code yet, however someone did figure out how his page numbering system works.  I'm curious about this book...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

In a semi-related, TMI moment, apparently 50 Cent used to date Chelsea Handler.

Apparently Fitty used to call Chandler "Gator", because he said that making love to her was like wrestling an alligator.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

^^^ I was curious how you were tying that all together
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

if you squint a little bit while looking at her, you'll see she really does have a gator face... and guy resemblance
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bayonetbrant

Sir Slash

I slept with a girl that turned into a Leech once but after the sex not during.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Wes

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

MetalDog

I'd heard of the Voynich Manuscript, but not the Codex.  And I agree with Martok.  The script does have an Elvish cast to it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob