Since when is a whiskey still considered trash?

Started by steve58, March 13, 2021, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Saw this posted in my online local county "newspaper":

Glad to see that some are keeping the old ways alive, but such a waste.  :'(

9   Estimated tons of roadside trash and recyclables that court-ordered community service workers collected along county roads from last July through March 1, according to Tom Pavelko, Director of the Fauquier County Office of Adult Court Services.

People convicted of nonviolent misdemeanors and felonies participate in the litter-control program to help meet their probation obligations, Mr. Pavelko said.

Logging more than 430 service hours, the approximately two dozen workers also picked up numerous and assorted bulk items, including:

• 61 tires.
• 15 large furniture pieces.
• 10 television sets.
• Two window air conditioning units.
• A disassembled whiskey still, plus hundreds of mason jars and liquor and wine bottles.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Uberhaus

Would love to try distilling but it's not legal in many places without very expensive permits.

Just remember to throw out the first 2% that comes through the still as it is methanol.

Sir Slash

Empty liquor and wine bottles? Sure, now that the Community Service Workers emptied them.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I love having roadsides cleaned as community service, just as an aside. I clean up the road I live on regularly and actually find great pleasure and satisfaction in it!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

You're a good Citizen Gus. Now everyone in your neighborhood knows. And knows where to drop their....Thank You letters.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

It's a semi-rural road but gets busy when a local highway to West Point gets closed for the winter.

Since moving into this house 17 years ago, I keep the surrounding woods and roadside clean - usually its cigarette packs, fast food wrappers and bottles of cheap booze (never good booze).

The most disturbing thing I have found was 2-3 pairs of tighty whiteys about 100 feet from my house over the course of three months. Why they were there, I never knew, and never really wanted to know. Picked them up with a (long) stick and got rid of them. That was 10 years ago, roughly, and it never happened again.

One of my pet peeves is roadside trash. I hate it. When I retire I am probably going to get a small truck and just drive around to pick up the crap I see. I live in a beautiful, pristine area full of amazing vistas, etc., and to have them full of trash would send me into a conniption.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SlagDog

That's incredibly admiral of you Gus . . .

But what we really want to know is how many disassembled stills have you come across  ;D

It bothers me that people can't use a trash bin as well. On the road to our local dump there is literally tons of refuse dumped within a quarter mile of it. Just drive the extra quarter mile and dump your crap. It's even free where I live! Amazes me that people would drive out of there way towards the dump but then stop short of it and trash the side of the road with there crap.

Doesn't make any sense.

Gusington

^Because people are lazy morons :)

As far as I have found there are no old stills in the woods or on the roadside by my house.

There are a lot of old ruins, cisterns, caves and stuff that people used to use to tap trees for sap, however. Which is pretty cool.

About 300 feet from my house (150 feet from our only neighbor) is a bear den with one mama and three cubs. We have a nice mutual understanding in place and don't mess with each other.

And we all hate outsiders.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

And I hear you play a mean banjo.

Worst road trash i had to deal with was when I did a surveying job a few hundred meters from the US/Canada border.  All the truckers would fling their piss bottles onto the side of the road before crossing.  There were hundreds of them scattered around right where I had to set up the total station.  Fucking reeked of stale piss and STDs.

Gusington

^Jesus, that really draws an olfactory picture, if there is such a thing.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Lots of trash thrown into our front ditch too, especially weekends.  >:(