Elden Ring releases tomorrow

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 23, 2022, 06:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

This is probably going to be a hard game for me, but the hype machine has been effective and decided to pre order.  Supposedly like other "soul" games where I simply sucked but this one has open world and hooked my interest so what the heck,  preloads started yesterday depending where you ordered.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245620/ELDEN_RING/

jamus34

From a technical basis I love From software games but good god I suck at them. I'm sure I will get it eventually but I have a hard time justifying full price.
Insert witty comment here.

Grim.Reaper

Yep, I am not good either.  There have been a number of discounted pre order sales, so I didn't pay full price either.  I forget what I paid, somewhere in the $40s.

But understandable to wait.  I thought about it as well, but the hype machine got me:). Sounds like review embargo ends tonight so folks can catch some reviews first as well.  I am hoping someone says it has gotten easier:)

jamus34

Yeah I've decided to run through some of my backlog and am probably going to pick up Horizon Forbidden West before this anyway. I am currently running through the game now after hitting a wall but watched a couple of YouTubes on tactics for it and holy hell am I having fun now.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jamus34 on February 23, 2022, 07:33:40 AM
Yeah I've decided to run through some of my backlog and am probably going to pick up Horizon Forbidden West before this anyway. I am currently running through the game now after hitting a wall but watched a couple of YouTubes on tactics for it and holy hell am I having fun now.

I have heard people talk about that one, but seems like an exclusive for PlayStation so I'll have to sit that one out as I don't have one.

jamus34

Yeah although the first one (Horizon Zero Dawn) was released on PC so there's hope it will eventually port.

First game is definitely worth your time. Can be finicky at times but it's amazing what they were able to put together.

Gusington

I also suck at Souls games. Patiently awaiting to read how merciful (or not) the implementation of the open world is here. I will definitely dive in if it sounds forgiving.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I'm a huge Dark Souls/FromSoftware fan and I can play these games fairly well.  Here is a video from a very knowledgeable chap on all things Dark Souls to give you a little background story on Elden Ring.

This game does look great but I probably won't get it despite my interest.  I just don't have the extreme patience required to play these games properly anymore. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

I kind of want to see this one settle first before I decide to commit...  Also, I just have so many other great games that I just don't have time for already.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Looks like reviews starting to come......copied this from somewhere so hopefully accurate.  Haven't had time to read them yet.

Eurogamer 'Essential'
Game Informer 10
PCGamesN 10
Fextralife 10
The Guardian 5/5
Kinda Funny 5/5
VG247 5/5
Easy Allies 9.5
Press Start 9.5
RPG Site 9
PC Gamer 90

Pete Dero

glen55

Dark Souls got great reviews, and after giving it a couple of fair shots, it's safe to say it is Not For Me. So I think I'll wait for the Grogheads review on this.

For most games, though, I'm not really looking for a challenge. I get challenged at work. When I get home, I'm looking for something that will fool me into thinking I'm overcoming a challenge--not an ACTUAL challenge....
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Pete Dero

Quote from: glen55 on February 23, 2022, 01:24:02 PM
Dark Souls got great reviews, and after giving it a couple of fair shots, it's safe to say it is Not For Me.

Animal Crossing New Horizons got great reviews.  Doesn't mean it is my kind of game,  just that it is probably good in its genre.

al_infierno

I got to the last boss of Dark Souls 1 but never managed to beat him.  He was so fast you practically couldn't use potions at all without getting hit unless you timed them perfectly.  I finished DS3 with help of a buddy on co-op, so I don't expect to get super far into this one on my own.   :buck2:

Anyway, I bought this a few weeks ago after seeing it was discounted pretty heavily on GreenManGaming, so got this preloading already.   <:-)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

acctingman

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 23, 2022, 11:10:02 AM
Looks like reviews starting to come......copied this from somewhere so hopefully accurate.  Haven't had time to read them yet.

Eurogamer 'Essential'
Game Informer 10
PCGamesN 10
Fextralife 10
The Guardian 5/5
Kinda Funny 5/5
VG247 5/5
Easy Allies 9.5
Press Start 9.5
RPG Site 9
PC Gamer 90

damn....those are some great scores.

I'm a long time MMO'er. UO, EQ, Rift, WOW, blah...blah

Recently bought New World and what a total complete hunk of dogshit. That game alone has put in the boat of waiting for reviews/bug fixes.

Anywho....going to follow this bad boy and see how things go.