Shogun 2 Difficulty

Started by Gusington, February 16, 2012, 10:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

From what I've seen so far it appears the AI can recognize strength on the other side of the border and act what a human would recognize as logically. I also haven't had any AI factions lose their mind and go all willy nilly crazy as happens in some TW games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on February 24, 2012, 10:11:41 AM
Disappointing eh? I agree they are great as offensive troops. I use them as 'storm troops.' I also tried grenade troops for the first time last night and they are great for lowering morale and breaking up units, especially rebels. If I can smash the Satsuke then I have a good chance of taking on the reigning Shogunate. I am moving an additional army towards their territory now to smash them [hopefully].

I guess disappointing isn't the right word.  For me, the monk units don't deliver a good enough return on investment.  They cost a fair whack of both time and money to produce, cost more in upkeep, and require you to build dedicated structures in order to gain access to them.  It also takes a lot longer to refill their ranks after a battle compared to the cheaper yari ashigaru units.

I tend to play a rather defensive style tactically and I find I can win most battles by walking a massive spear wall of armored yari ashigaru with a buttload of archers behind them.  The archers do a good job of either weakening the enemy melee units, taking out enemy archers, or goading the AI into attacking the spear walls.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I find them disappointing. Monk troops should be far more highly trained than other troops. They should have more advantage in attack, avoidance and hit points. Turning blows into near misses or glancing blows should show up in hit points based on a set weapon damage rate.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Silent Disapproval Robot

I don't know.  That sounds like it's getting a liitle too fantastical for my tastes.  Like you're talking a unit of a hundred Grasshoppers that all look like David Carradine (pre auto erotic incident).

I think the devs have struck a decent balance between historical accuracy and playability.  Militant monks were fanatics who relied on their faith (shown as very high morale and charge bonus) who'd spend weeks before battle conducting elaborate curse rituals (shown in game as an enemy morale lowering war cry.). They were lightly armoured (weak defence rating).

I'd like to see either larger default unit sizes or a lowered recruitment cost (and better speed and endurance on the battlefield to defect thelack of armour.). Other than that, I think they're portrayed well.

Gusington

Didn't get a chance to play last night but should be able to get some time in today and try and take out the Satsuke.

I think I like the whole idea of a warrior monk. Just add some extra armor. And of course now my standard question: can anyone recommend a good, non-Osprey book on Japanese warrior monks? There are tons on the samurai. Monks, not so much.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Don't know of any offhand.  I did read a couple of books on the end of the Hojo Shogunate in Kamakura when emperor Go Dai Go wiped them out.  There were quite a few warrior monks defending the Hojo clan in the gorge battle.  Some good info there.  If you have the NatGeo channel, look for a program called Warrior Graveyard (a bit like Deadliest Warrior except not geared for drooling retards).  They did an episode about Samurai and had some warrior monks featured.

LongBlade

I think the only book I have on Sohei is Osprey. It's good, but brief.

However, looking over Amazon turned up a couple. The hardbound version of this is running just under $1000 so I suspect it's not too shabby. Paperpacks are a much more modest $23 or so: The Teeth and Claws of the Buddha: Monastic Warriors and Sohei in Japanese History
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Now we're talking. Thanks for the show recommendations too SDR.

OT - Jim you seem to have lost weight judging from your new avatar pic!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

You're so thoughtful, Gus. Yes, I've been working out.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 25, 2012, 08:22:00 AM
I don't know.  That sounds like it's getting a liitle too fantastical for my tastes.  Like you're talking a unit of a hundred Grasshoppers that all look like David Carradine (pre auto erotic incident).

I think the devs have struck a decent balance between historical accuracy and playability.  Militant monks were fanatics who relied on their faith (shown as very high morale and charge bonus) who'd spend weeks before battle conducting elaborate curse rituals (shown in game as an enemy morale lowering war cry.). They were lightly armoured (weak defence rating).

I'd like to see either larger default unit sizes or a lowered recruitment cost (and better speed and endurance on the battlefield to defect thelack of armour.). Other than that, I think they're portrayed well.

You might be right. I was thinking a warrior monk has probably 10 years daily training from a young age vs a regular army fodder < 1yr. Who knows.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Fetrik

Quote from: LongBlade on February 25, 2012, 12:56:16 PM
  The Teeth and Claws of the Buddha: Monastic Warriors and Sohei in Japanese History
Looks interesting, added to wishlist (my shoppinglist)

Ikko Ikki is as far as i can recall the only campaign i've completed since Mtw....Loved the mechanics. Regarding troops, when you need the extra oomph yari sam seem to be the best for the koku invested.
Both starting areas for icky Ikko should of course be used and abused. The right area with iron should spit out kitted out ashugari and the capital with the archer bonus makes even the craptastic Ikko Ikki bow ashugari decent, imagine the sam and monk archers from that site.

Gusington

^Hey look who it is. Welcome Fetrik!

Still slogging through the Ikko Ikki campaign, slowly expanding but it's a rough road.

BTW I have just finished a mini AAR for it and it should be published here kinda sorta soon.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

Ty Gus. Your welcome just made a warm and wet stain in my pants... :P

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

Oh, do tell? I guess i shouldn't ask but aside from the bad forum software i like WG. I assume there are other reasons but i shall try to stick, or be sticky wherever great games are discussed.