Shogun 2 Difficulty

Started by Gusington, February 16, 2012, 10:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Which reminds me, I have not had a successful campaign yet in Shogun 2. Also I have the Rise of the Samurai add-on and haven't played that scenario.  And now Fall of the Samurai is coming.

I think I will start a Rise of the Samurai campaign, then play the main Sengoku Jidai campaign, thenFall of the Samurai.  Makes a nice series. :)

Gusington

^Me neither. Although on my current Ikko Ikki campaign I have lasted much longer than I did in my previous one, I am still about to lose. I have no allies and I am being raked across the coals by the Uesegi, the Satake and the Honma...of all clans no one ever suspects the Honma!

But I am in love with the mechanics and polish of this game and will definitely be coming back for more. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and choose an 'easy' campaign, as embarrassing as that is. I should probably embrace 'the way of the turtle' like I usually do also, and build, build, build until I have no choice but to fight.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Turtling is usually my style as well but that just doesn't work well with the Ikko-Ikki.  You've got to be willing to take big losses and just keep pushing.

EDIT: I'd recommend trying out the Hojo clan if you want to play defensively.  I found that campaign to be the easiest to win thus far.  Cheap castles and defensive bonuses should suit you just fine.

Gusington

^Thanks SDR.

Well it seems I have the whole "take losses" dynamic down. I thought last night that I was at the end, as I have the Uesegi, the Honma, and the Satake all smacking me around real good. I think I am down to three provinces, all of which are now rebelling, and every infrastructure facility I own is on fire. Not looking good.

That said the rebel troops are of poor quality and I slaughter them at every opportunity. The year is 1560...not sure that even if I survive this onslaught that I could reach my campaign objectives by 1575.

The game rocks though. It gives such cultural detail that it is impossible to not be totally immersed. Looks like my next choice in clan may be the Hojo as SDR recommends as I almost took them as my first campaign clan. Also looking at the Hattori (ninja) clan and the Takeda, but the Takeda are listed as 'Hard' difficulty.

I love the whole idea of the warrior monk so I was psyched to take over Japan as Ikko Ikki. But the game had other ideas :) Maybe I'll come back to them when I have improved.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Hey Gus. In my first campaign I had good luck with the Shimazu clan. They're close to the trade ports and get a spear troop bonus, very important early on. The only neighboring clans are the Sugara-- allied, and Ito that are at war with you. In my campaign, I beat the Ito & made them vassals then my allies the Sugara declared war on the Ouchi clan to the north. I honored the alliance & went to war with Ouchi, then the Sugara dropped out of the war and 2 turns later declared war on me. After my army was way up north fighting the Ouchi. Was it an AI thing or did those devious bastards set me up? Any game that can think more evilily than me scares me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^I know! By far the best AI of the series. In my current game it is not as advanced...it's just pummeling me into submission.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

Oda is ez mode if you survive the first two turns.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

Yeah, you get assualted from both south and north. Been ages since i played but it's something like this. Kill rebels with 2/3rds of your army or they'll retreat. Go back to castle kill south fellas (forget name), strike north take provice then go back south and take all Imagawa lands.
Next step is either defend against Takeda  or join them wile killing Ikko Ikki (ebil bad religion).

Sorry wrintgv this while sipping whiskey and cooking. :P

Gusington

^I knew I liked you. It also sounds like you have been driving the AI in my current game.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

Oh!!
What makes Oda is easy is of course their superior ashigaru.

Fetrik

Quote from: Gusington on February 29, 2012, 01:35:23 PM
^I knew I liked you. It also sounds like you have been driving the AI in my current game.

Haha! I knew practising on the Dominion 3 demo would pay off.

Gusington

Do the Oda get a discount on those Ashigaru?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

I think both cheaper and better.

Gusington

Really? I'll need to research my clan choice better then, after my imminent annihilation as the Ikko Ikki.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd