Naval War: Arctic Circle + free game from GameStop

Started by Shelldrake, April 11, 2012, 10:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Just ordered a copy of NWAC for myself on GameStop/Impulse. If you order today you also get a free digital copy of Commander Conquest of the Americas.  :)

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

Cool.

My gaming rig is in the shop right now, but I will be all over this upon its return.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Capn Darwin

Picked up NWAC last night and got the other game too. Waiting to see if the devs add saving missions and add a scenario editor at some point. A pause function for single player is also needed bad. Fun game but not Harpoon level simulation.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

ArizonaTank

Oh well....guess I'll just wait for Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations (formerly Red Pill).
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Capn Darwin

Command definitely is the Harpoon killer, once it sees the light of day hopefully later this year. NWAC for the money is a fun time killer. You do need to use your Harpoon skills in sensor use and coordinating attacks. I'm not the only one who sees the no save game as an issue. For online play you can get away with not having a save to some extent, but for the single player mode you really need to have that in a game. Most casual wargamers like myself can slice 15-20 minutes here or there to play, but not and hour or two. I'm also not a fan of RTS where you have not way to pause to issue orders to forces. The original World of Warcraft taught me and my friends that a computer will always do 10000 orders in the time I issue one.

These are the points that stick out to me. I'm sure some of these will be deal breakers for some and no big deal to others. There are worse things to spend $20 bucks on.  8)

Bismarck

Quote from: Capn Darwin on April 11, 2012, 02:47:22 PM
Picked up NWAC last night and got the other game too. Waiting to see if the devs add saving missions and add a scenario editor at some point. A pause function for single player is also needed bad. Fun game but not Harpoon level simulation.

EXC will pause.
Jim Cobb

Capn Darwin

Capn Darwin

I guess I should have said Pause and still Give Orders. The Esc key will pause the entire game which is good for runs to the head or fridge. Another gripe of sorts is the laser accuracy of main gun systems in knocking down missiles (including supersonic sea skimmers) with or with out air search radars active. Also not seeing towed arrays with any real passive detection range or convergence zone contacts.

Still fun to play.  ;)

Capn Darwin

Okay, one more major gripe. Let me finish out the bloody mission! I got one ship damaged, sunk two bad guys, there is still a stream of missiles heading for my busted boat and I have a flock of harpoons heading for another enemy boat. Give me the option to play on and score the result.  >:(