WWI: Centenial Edition

Started by Jarhead0331, July 01, 2014, 12:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

ummm...what exactly is this?  IS this the old WWI from Ageod?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297090/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 01, 2014, 12:30:06 PM

Yes, appears to be a suped-up update of Ageod's WW1 Gold.  Had no idea this was in the works.  Figured "Gold" edition was the pinnacle of that game's development.

WW1 Gold is the most complex game I've ever played.  More complex than WitP, in my opinion, and I know that sounds nuts. 

This is one of those games, like Forge of Freedom and WitP, that I wish I had the patience to master. 

EDIT -- appears this is not an Ageod project after all, but has been taken up by "DigitalFroggies Inc."(?) -- now I'm wary. 

Rayfer

$16.99, not a bad price...but when I read comparisons in complexity to WitP I shudder and move on.

sandman2575

Yeah, it's hard to know what to make of this.  $17 is a steal, and I'm tempted to pick it up just so I have it on Steam.  "DigitalFroggies" claim to have made enhancements to the engine and AI... I'm a little skeptical -- plus "All fixes as received from players since 2008, to improve game play and experience, and previous changes since game launch included in both versions" -- which is a little hard to interpret.

WW1 Gold runs just fine on Windows 7.  I should probably just fire that up and save myself the extra $...

steve58

Guess they trying to suck a few more $s/euros out of the old version.  Don't forget that Ageod's To End All Wars is just about 8 weeks from release.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

TacticalWargames

WW1 Gold does WW1 perfectly. It's also my favourite grand strat game.

Sir Slash

I didn't see anything about a single-player campaign only multiplayer. And no reviews.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Queeg

The screenshots on Steam show at least one new campaign, plus some different artwork.  Not a major overhaul perhaps, but I'm really happy to see this game still getting some attention.  As much as I'm looking forward to Ageod's new WWI game, it won't be as deep as this game.  It will be CW2 with spiked helmets.   WWI Gold has so much more depth.

I'm in.

Greybriar

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 01, 2014, 12:30:06 PM

From the Steam forums:

Quote from: strabo
Game Philosophy and Content
Our philosophy is to take what we call "vintage" games, i.e. games that were develop some years ago, and to bring some improvement to their content and designs.

* A first objective is to make sure those games work on recent O/S such as Win7 or Win8, as this was not the case when the original engine was released
* A second objective is to improve the game speed and ease of play
* A third objective is to update the looks for some parts of the game, such as units or maps, as they are those players see the most.
* Last but not least, we'll had some new content validated by the original game developper as much as feasible.

Otherwise, we try to keep the game as close as possible to the very first design (not any subsequent version of variant however).
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

jomni

If they solved the stability and AI processing issues then that's good.

Grim.Reaper

I remember buying the original and only spending a couple of dollars....but even with that, I could not wrap my head around the gameplay which is now just shelf ware.  Wanted to like it, but just couldn't.  It is interesting the resurgence of ww1 games at this time.

Now if only some additional Cold War era and modern middle eastern conflicts would come our way....

Nefaro

Quote from: Queeg on July 01, 2014, 10:29:13 PM
The screenshots on Steam show at least one new campaign, plus some different artwork.  Not a major overhaul perhaps, but I'm really happy to see this game still getting some attention.  As much as I'm looking forward to Ageod's new WWI game, it won't be as deep as this game.  It will be CW2 with spiked helmets.   WWI Gold has so much more depth.

I'm in.

I didn't see anything different in the screenshots compared to WWI Gold.  Maybe the map art was a tad brighter, and hopefully changed to a more efficient format than the large Bitmaps of the previous version.  Actually, I think one of the last WWI Gold patches on the AGEOD forum did all that (or a mod did) so I'm not sure if I should re-purchase.

Now if they had gone through and re-done all the tooltips in the game to display relevant game mechanic info, instead of background info, I might jump.  Notably the card effect tooltips.

Also the combat window only displaying the combat hex and the six surrounding ones adjacent to it during turn playback,  with no extra indication of exactly where this battle is located on the full map, would be a good thing to adjust.  I had just used a mod that made the background of that window clear so I could see the map behind it, to better get my bearings.  But it wasn't as pretty.

I really enjoyed WWI Gold, after it had been patched up quite a bit.  It's a great "Mega" wargame.  I suppose likening it to WitP's difficulty may have some substance behind it, but only for learning the mechanics IMO.  It doesn't have so many units with fidgety buttons, it just has some learning curve (which could be lessened a bit with the aforementioned tooltip text revisions).

I had forgotten about it lately.. yet another I should revisit.  If I saw enough hard details on specific improvements in this version, I could even be persuaded to pick it up sometime.

EDIT:  Hmmm.. it says the game engine is "faster" and "fixes received from players" are in it.  I suppose that means that some mods were included.  That might be worth checking into.

mikeck

Funny thing is that I any get past the unit cards used in battle. The faces look so goofy it ruins it. Looked for a mod replacing the face with insignia but couldn't find one. Such a stupid reason but it kills it for me nonetheless
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on July 02, 2014, 08:02:50 AM
Funny thing is that I any get past the unit cards used in battle. The faces look so goofy it ruins it. Looked for a mod replacing the face with insignia but couldn't find one. Such a stupid reason but it kills it for me nonetheless

Doesn't this one have new counter art?

tgb

A game this deep without a decent tutorial needs a comprehensive manual, and even though the one that came with the game topped out at over 200 pages, I found it unreadable.  They really needed to have a native-English speaker edit it.

Now I realize that I'm probably being unfair, since whoever wrote the manual probably speaks better English than I do Serbo-COratian or whatever, but trying to read it still gave me a headache, and I never got past it.  The first thing I went to check out in this version was the manual, to see if it had been rewritten.

From what I can tell, it hasn't