WWI: Centenial Edition

Started by Jarhead0331, July 01, 2014, 12:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Quote from: Queeg on July 01, 2014, 10:29:13 PM
As much as I'm looking forward to Ageod's new WWI game, it won't be as deep as this game.  It will be CW2 with spiked helmets.   WWI Gold has so much more depth.

I'm in.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. WWI Gold is the only Ageod game that's ever pulled me in, and that's because it doesn't entirely conform to the mold of Ageod games.  I assume To End All Wars will eliminate WWI Gold's interactive battle resolution system, which I love, in favor of the usual 'hands off' Ageod mechanic.  That alone is enough for me to stick to the original game and pass on the new offering.

Did you buy the Steam version?  Impressions?

Rayfer

I see that Gamersgate has it for $16.99 as well.

WallysWorld

I like WW1 Gold as well. Once you get past the steep learning curve and actually learn the intricate aspects of the game, you are richly awarded. I might up ending picking this edition too.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Queeg

One big advantage of WWI Gold is that it is based on a board game and thus has clear rules.  It was a game first, then a computer program. My biggest gripe with PC games these days is that designers too often mistake algorithms for rules (I'm looking at you, Paradox). 

bbmike

Looking at the discussions on Steam, it looks like the game crashes and is still buggy. If this gets patched and doesn't keep crashing I'll certainly pick it up at some point.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: Queeg on July 02, 2014, 06:04:35 PM
One big advantage of WWI Gold is that it is based on a board game and thus has clear rules.  It was a game first, then a computer program. My biggest gripe with PC games these days is that designers too often mistake algorithms for rules (I'm looking at you, Paradox).

Sorry but it can also go badly the other way around. A board game can have rules that only a human brain can process and very hard to put into code. Even more difficult make a cunning AI.

Games designed for the computer, with rules based on the coder's capabilities is the best.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on July 02, 2014, 08:05:53 AM
Quote from: mikeck on July 02, 2014, 08:02:50 AM
Funny thing is that I any get past the unit cards used in battle. The faces look so goofy it ruins it. Looked for a mod replacing the face with insignia but couldn't find one. Such a stupid reason but it kills it for me nonetheless

Doesn't this one have new counter art?

Didnt look like it to me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

Quote from: bbmike on July 02, 2014, 07:32:53 PM
Looking at the discussions on Steam, it looks like the game crashes and is still buggy. If this gets patched and doesn't keep crashing I'll certainly pick it up at some point.

The option of having Ageod's WWI available thru Steam is definitely attractive, esp. at this low price -- but it does indeed sound glitchy, and I'd like to hear more about the "improvements" the devs have made to the game engine and AI before purchasing...

jomni

Yikes!  still has those core issues from the Ageod release.

sandman2575

For anyone still wondering about how original (or legit) WW1 Centennial Edition is, this seems pretty definitive, as well as encouraging -- from Calvinus, the man himself, over at the Ageod forum:

"Hi all, WW1 Centennial Edition is a new and separate game. I ceded all rights to another company, nothing related to AgeOD, and with no commitment for me (being out of business from PC games already for some years), except for the required knowledge transfer, of course.

This company worked out a brand new graphic engine supported game, much faster and more stable than WW1G, with new graphics, a much improved map, more animated sprites, etc. etc.

I have no idea if that company is going to deliver any "kit" to upgrade WW1G to WW1CE, and if this can be done... "

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36020-What-is-World-War-One-Centennial-Edition&s=3aeefa8dd83ad8a56ceb647a4ccf5f60&p=318581#post318581

fabius

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this one- but the Steam forum gives CTD and Freeze issue impression.

mikeck

It looks the same as "Gold" to me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on July 03, 2014, 10:47:32 AM
It looks the same as "Gold" to me

I'm sure it's the latest Gold update version, with some adjustments.

The most notable improvement I see on the list is the game engine performance increase.  Perhaps the revised one is having some stability issues at the moment (?) but if they can get that hammered out, then I will probably pick up this version also.  I think it's still my favorite WWI grand strat game, despite all the past warts.  But the interface always ran a bit sluggish.  I had to adjust the mouse speed and be careful about clicking too fast because it could get a bit behind.  I had only suspected it was the use of the huge amount of large-sized bitmaps for each of the map provinces slowing things down, but there was probably more. 

I should also see if they edited some of those annoying sound files in the new version and, if not, make sure my sound mod is still compatible.  I would like to play the game again too, of course.  ;)  The last patch version from the AGE forums I played was in fairly decent shape, from what I noticed from a few months of gameplay, but I'd like to get a full war in.

WallysWorld

The developer of the Ageod game posted on their forum that he sold the rights to his game to a separate company and that he doesn't have much to do with this version.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36020-What-is-World-War-One-Centennial-Edition&p=318581#post318581
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Rayfer

Considered getting this on Gamersgate for $16.99 less 20% off with a coupon I just got from them via email. But after reading the forums on Steam I'm not pulling the trigger.  Broken tutorials that you can't complete,  frequent freeze ups and crashes to desktop.....yikes.