Main Menu

Crimson Skies

Started by Gusington, April 12, 2012, 07:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I'm dipping into some steampunk games again (Vessel, Guns of Icarus) and I have always wanted to, but never have, played the PC version of Crimson Skies. I can pick up a copy for ~.46 cents but I want to know if you guys think it holds up since it is 10+ years old. What say you all?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2012, 07:51:01 PM
I'm dipping into some steampunk games again (Vessel, Guns of Icarus) and I have always wanted to, but never have, played the PC version of Crimson Skies. I can pick up a copy for ~.46 cents but I want to know if you guys think it holds up since it is 10+ years old. What say you all?

I played the Xbox version and it was a blast. Don't see how you can go wrong with the PC version at that price.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I'm worried it may not play on Windows 7, that's all...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Prolly true :(  I run Win XP as a dual boot on my Mac Book just so that I can play some of my older games.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on April 12, 2012, 07:52:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2012, 07:51:01 PM

I played the Xbox version and it was a blast. Don't see how you can go wrong with the PC version at that price.

The xbox and pc version were different games which came out many years apart.
Gameplay could be entirely different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies#Microsoft_PC_game

EDIT: actually, the xbox version sounds better, although as Mirth says you can't really lose anything but a bit of your time at less than a buck.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Didn't realize they were that different. The Xbox version was alot of fun in it's day.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The PC version was freakin' awesome.  Not really Steampunk though.  It was more like the movie The Rocketeer than anything else.  1930s era action goodness.

mirth

I agree about it not really being 'steampunk'. I didn't pick up on that before. It definitely has an alt 1920s/30s vibe...Still very enjoyable. I remember it fondly as one of my original Xbox games. I'm tempted to track it down for PC.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on April 12, 2012, 08:25:36 PM
I agree about it not really being 'steampunk'. I didn't pick up on that before. It definitely has an alt 1920s/30s vibe...Still very enjoyable. I remember it fondly as one of my original Xbox games. I'm tempted to track it down for PC.

I have a copy of the pc game still in shrinkwrap that came bundled with a copy of MS Combat Sim a while back.
I may have to give it a spin m'self. There's a patch out that's needed though:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/crimson/Update/1.02/W9X2KMe/EN-US/CrmSk102.exe

Here's MS's web site for CS:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/crimsonskies/default.aspx

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

Nice links, SW. Thanks!

Gusington

According to what I've been reading, Crimson Skies is 'dieselpunk' or perhaps 'decopunk'...slightly more modern versions of steampunk.

Thanks for those links Staggerwing. The patch link directly downloaded the patch...I didn't see any description. Does it make Crimson Skies playable on a W7 system?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I didn't realize there were so many versions of 'punk.

Gusington

Me neither until an hour ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk#Dieselpunk

Some of the art there will make your head explode. Awesome stuff.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Fisher-Price Diesel-punk Aircraft! Start 'em young!

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2012, 08:47:01 PM
According to what I've been reading, Crimson Skies is 'dieselpunk' or perhaps 'decopunk'...slightly more modern versions of steampunk.

Thanks for those links Staggerwing. The patch link directly downloaded the patch...I didn't see any description. Does it make Crimson Skies playable on a W7 system?

No, it just fixes some issues. There's a demo at the site you could try:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/crimsonskies/downloads.aspx

mirth

Goodness. My world has been expanded.