Main Menu

Legend of Grimrock

Started by Bison, April 14, 2012, 09:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I downloaded it this morning.  I'm loving the old school dungeon crawl feel.  Anyone else playing this one?

Bison

The challenge I'm having right now is I have no idea how magic works.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 14, 2012, 09:56:31 AM

I have that problem in real life, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on April 14, 2012, 10:05:27 AM

I have that problem in real life, too.

They make pills for that now.

On Topic:  I found a scroll that told me how to use one of my runes.  This game is no joke in difficulty.

Tpek

You need your mage to either have a free hand or a magic staff.
Then right click it.
There you'll have a set of 9 runes. Just choose the correct runes for the spell and press the big blue button, and if you have enough skill and mana, you'll cast it.
How do you know the correct runes?
3 ways:
1) Experiment
2) Find the scrolls hidden throughout the dungeons that will tell you them.
3) Read on the internet :P
(Top right rune will give you a basic Fire attack, bottom left or right {can't remember} will give you a basic poison cloud attack with Earth).

Bison

I'm not into walkthroughs these days.  I'd rather just get lost in a game on my own.

I did some playing around with the runes and figured out how to cast fire.  I need a staff, which I assume makes the spells more powerful.

You liking the game too?

Tpek

Quote from: Bison on April 14, 2012, 10:25:47 AM
I'm not into walkthroughs these days.  I'd rather just get lost in a game on my own.

I did some playing around with the runes and figured out how to cast fire.  I need a staff, which I assume makes the spells more powerful.

You liking the game too?

Quite.
Though it's very difficult in some parts.
And it overheats my GPU (which is apparently a common problem as discussed over the game's main forum)

Bison

Yeah I noticed the GPU fans kicking on, but didn't think too much of it.  I need to look into this.  There have been some games in the past that didn't cap FPS and it cause some serious damage to gpus.

Tpek

Quote from: Bison on April 14, 2012, 10:40:39 AM
Yeah I noticed the GPU fans kicking on, but didn't think too much of it.  I need to look into this.  There have been some games in the past that didn't cap FPS and it cause some serious damage to gpus.

Search the main forum of the game for possible solutions.
One I found (but yet to test) is to change in the config for verticalSync = 1 to = 2.

Also, it might be my guess, but it is possible this is just for nVidia cards.

Nefaro

My GPU fan also runs max speed so it's obviously getting roasty.

Edit:  I noticed Vsync wasn't on by default, so I should prolly check that box.

I'm concerned about just how far they went with the "puzzles" as the game progresses.  Repeated trial & error to find combinations of actions, to progress, is not my kind of "fun".  Evidentally that starts ramping up the further you get.  :-\

son_of_montfort

I very much like this game. I intended to start a forum topic, but will probably write up a review eventually instead.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Keunert

i thought this was about some sort of scotch.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Staggerwing

Quote from: Keunert on April 14, 2012, 03:41:53 PM
i thought this was about some sort of scotch.

Ha! Good one, K.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys