Fallout: New Vegas

Started by Gusington, April 16, 2012, 09:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

It's going to be 92 degrees in New York City today and my thoughts of course have turned to the desert. And Fallout: New Vegas.

I loved Fallout 3, wrote a pretty glowing review of it when it was released, have gone through the arguments about it ad nauseum (or something) and even started a little literary duel with Lance Larka who wrote a counterpoint to my glowing review back then.

Not looking to do that here, but I am looking to hear what you all have to say about Fallout: New Vegas. I know the majority love it...I also want to hear what, if anything, you don't like.

I am going to pick up the Ultimate Edition (which includes all of the expansions) tonight. So sound off like you've got a pair and let me know what you think of one of the arguably best RPGs ever released.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I bought Fallout New Vegas when it was first released.  I also bought the Ultimate edition when it was first released since it coincided with my rehab from surgery.

The Ultimate version adds all of the extra official content and patches official from Bethesda.  The game is almost completely stable.  Crashes to desktop & freezes are rare (at least on my new Falcon Northwest rig).  It also ran smoothly on my 6 year old Alienware prior to the computer change.  New Vegas is much more stable than Fallout 3.

The additional content will almost all be playable about 2/3rds of the way through the game (or later).  The only exception to this are some relatively minor additional weapons/gear added at the very beginning of the game and some additional perks - most of which will only be taken at level 20 or higher.  The additional content also increases the level cap.

I have played two of the four additional content add ons.  One I loved (Hungry Hearts) and one I did not like so much (Treasure of the Sierra Madre).  I have not played Lonesome Road or the sci-fi add on yet.

Overall, New Vegas is much closer to the first 2 fallout releases than Fallout 3.  New Vegas has also seemed to hold up much better over time for those who played the earlier Fallout games.

If you go to an aggregate ratings site such as www.gameranking .com or similar you will see that both reviews from publications/websites and reviews from individuals have been overwhelmingly positive.

I think that the Ultimate edition is the one to buy if you are starting out.  There are a lot of mods for the game available from the fan community.

Overall, it is a major time eater over the last couple of years for me.  It captures much of the original spirit of Fallout. 

Gusington

^Thanks airboy, nice break down there.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

eyebiter

Found the base Fallout New Vegas for $8, or $30 for the version with all the DLC.  Are the expansions worth the extra $22?

Gusington

^Haven't played my copy yet. But the word on the street is 'yes' from what I've read.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

I loved Fallout 3 and still fire it up from time to time.   Fallout New Vegas...after playing it through to the end I had to admit that it was better than Fallout 3.  There are quite a few factions vying for power and you will ultimately have to make some tough choices, each of which plays out differently.  There are many memorable side quests as well.

Gusington

^How do you feel it fits together with Fallout 1 & 2?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Ok, I'm going to go buy this today...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on June 07, 2012, 02:43:42 PM
^How do you feel it fits together with Fallout 1 & 2?

Because of where it takes place it is actually much closer to the original 2 than was Fallout 3...there are a lot of references to places, people, etc. in the first 2. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

eyebiter

New Vegas is a fun game.  So far only played the Old World Blues DLC, well worth it.  When playing New Vegas get into the habit of manual saving every 15 minutes.  Mid game encountered severe save game file corruption issues.  Usually inside of New Vegas when changing maps.  Had several instances when the save game wouldn't load, and had to go back replay an hour or more of content again.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Kushan

I recently started a new play through of NV after getting a little burned on Skyrim. I love the sci-fi/western feel to the game.

I had some random crashes and stuttering when I first got the game a few years ago. I recently found a video by a guy who does a lot of videos/tutorials for Skyrim/NV/Fallout 3. I haven't had a crash at all during my current game and it runs a lot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plWow9dGI70&feature=BFa&list=PL0E5E8CA384409B1

In short it he explains how to run the game in full screen windowed mode (which has been proven to reduce crashing) with 4GB of RAM accessible to the game.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play