Fix My Game: Naval War

Started by LongBlade, April 16, 2012, 03:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK, I've played the fifth mission in the campaign like six times without success.

I finally managed to shoot down the Russian awac but I am still struggling.

I think I need to do a couple of things: air superiority groups need to be just large enough to take out enemy fighters, but small enough to take advantage of air-to-air refueling. Groups with six planes can't do that.

Second, the sub doesn't shoot no matter what.

Third - why the heck can't my awacs see enemy planes right in the middle of their radar? I nearly had one shot down because some goofy enemy plane got right behind it and started shooting. I could see the missile. Not the enemy plane. What gives?

Any other advice for this?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I can honestly say that Paradox 3d party published games are really starting to piss me off.  They release crap and then justify it with the bs line of patching will fix it, which of course means a slew of DLC is inbound your way.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: LongBlade on April 16, 2012, 03:09:58 PM
OK, I've played the fifth mission in the campaign like six times without success.

I finally managed to shoot down the Russian awac but I am still struggling.

I think I need to do a couple of things: air superiority groups need to be just large enough to take out enemy fighters, but small enough to take advantage of air-to-air refueling. Groups with six planes can't do that.

Second, the sub doesn't shoot no matter what.

Third - why the heck can't my awacs see enemy planes right in the middle of their radar? I nearly had one shot down because some goofy enemy plane got right behind it and started shooting. I could see the missile. Not the enemy plane. What gives?

Any other advice for this?

I tend to go with flights of 4 planes.  Seems to work for me.  As for the AWACS, I assume that the OPFOR has stealth capabilities, that's why you often don't detect the platforms, just the weapons themselves.  (Also, did you remember to turn the radar on? ;))

I just ordered my AWACs plane to move out to the NW, away from the baddies and had my fighters fly along a path where I suspected the baddies to be and got a visual on the enemy fighters.

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 16, 2012, 04:28:22 PM

I tend to go with flights of 4 planes.  Seems to work for me.  As for the AWACS, I assume that the OPFOR has stealth capabilities, that's why you often don't detect the platforms, just the weapons themselves.  (Also, did you remember to turn the radar on? ;))

I just ordered my AWACs plane to move out to the NW, away from the baddies and had my fighters fly along a path where I suspected the baddies to be and got a visual on the enemy fighters.

Thanks. After a couple of rounds, yes, I did remember to turn the radar on :) 

I think smaller groups of planes will help. I was sending out groups of six and then they were too big for aerial refueling. Smaller groups can refuel and stay on location longer - I think that will help.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.