Main Menu

Alien: Isolation

Started by Jarhead0331, October 06, 2014, 03:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 06, 2014, 05:25:07 PM
Andrew and SDR rocking the forums -

I take it back.  Higgins has much more hair than me. 

Gusington

This is now the best thread of the day.

SDR and SirAndrewD need to change their handles accordingly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 06, 2014, 06:13:57 PM
Did someone say Aliens: Colonial Marines?

My cynicism says that's a thumbs down and not a pointer to the W-Y t-shirt (which is pretty cool, BTW).

Oh, wait. Now that I'm quoting your pic I see the "acmsucks" in the JPEG name line. Carry on.  O0

I bought it when it was on sale and it wasn't too bad for four bucks or whatever it was, but it's long since left my hard drive to make room for other games.

SirAndrewD

I do, deeply and respectfully request that I not change my handle, and as tribute I offer this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIgXhiOpeQ

I also offer my brief impressions of Alien Isolation..

F..Amazing.  Sorry, I know people love Aliens, but Alien and the horrific/beautiful mess that was Prometheus is really MY canon.  I popped on my Weyland-Yutani Cap, told my wife to turn off all the lights, and tore into this sucker. 

Firstly, stunned I could play tonight.  Release is tomorrow but I could load up and play the whole game right now.  Needless to say Elite Dangerous and Wasteland 2 got sidetracked for a Gin Soaked Monday evening. 

First impressions, stupid awesome.  Played a touch of the Nostromo DLC, and kind of wetted myself in terror remembering my 9 year old self illicitly watching Alien in my bedroom and hoping that horrific beast-thing is not coming for me out of my closet after I close my eyes. 

Started the main campaign after I realized I didn't know what I was doing and I loved the 70's style on everything.  CRT's, old clicky IBM keyboards, "Welyan" everywhere.

Looking forward to more of this, with enforced dimming of the lights and a '55 screen.   Going to play Wasteland 2 for the remainder of the evening though.  Those Slicerdicers ain't going to kill themselves. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

BanzaiCat

Good to know it doesn't completely blow chunks.

I'm NOT into stealthy hide/being chased games. At all. But this harkens back to days of terror spent in bed at night as a 6th-grader wondering why the hell I just HAD to watch Alien on HBO...

In any case, I'm encouraged. I liked some of the gameplay videos I've seen thus far also.

Silent Disapproval Robot

But can you remap the controls?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 06, 2014, 08:51:11 PM
Good to know it doesn't completely blow chunks.

I'm NOT into stealthy hide/being chased games. At all. But this harkens back to days of terror spent in bed at night as a 6th-grader wondering why the hell I just HAD to watch Alien on HBO...

In any case, I'm encouraged. I liked some of the gameplay videos I've seen thus far also.

I'm not a stealther hider either.  I love combat games.

That said, yeah, as a kid the Alien DID scare me, and still does.  I love Lovecraft, and became a student of the making of the Alien film.  I was deeply impressed with HR Gieger, Dan O'Bannon and Ridley Scott's adherence to incorporating Alien into the Lovecraft mythos and making a truly disturbing whole. 

As much as I love Aliens, and I DO love Aliens, it isn't what I really hold as my concept of what the films are about. 

In the brief few hours I spent with Isolation, it got to the core of what bothered me, and still does about Alien.  I'm alone, something is stalking me, and I'm afraid.  The primal fear of we primates scared of the big cat.  It's good stuff. 

But, as I say, I've got some M16's, RPG's and Meson Cannons, so lets send those Wasteland 2 Bots' back to their place. 

I'm sure my wife will review my Isolation playthroughs on her blog better than I can. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 06, 2014, 08:55:32 PM
But can you remap the controls?

SORRY!  Have not tried yet.  Blame the Devil Gordon's London Extra Dry Gin.

Jarhead0331

I find the commercial reviews of this game quite interesting. They seem to either conclude that the game is THE BEST thing since the invention of sliced bread, or that the game is boring, too long, unimaginative and flat. I'm curious as to why the game is resulting in such divergent reviews at either end of the extreme.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

Hmm. Perhaps there are those whom have had their nostalgia stirred and they want to like the game, and the ones that do not think it's any good are those that did not grow up with the same memories?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 06, 2014, 09:21:33 PM
Hmm. Perhaps there are those whom have had their nostalgia stirred and they want to like the game, and the ones that do not think it's any good are those that did not grow up with the same memories?

Probably true.  Most of those reviewers are whipper snappers that didn't sneak Alien on Skinemax after Emmanuel on Friday After Dark at 3:00am on their click and drag cable box. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 09:34:48 PM
Nostromo DLC??

Quite, those that preordered get to be slaughtered as the crew of the Nostromo, complete with the original actors providing voices. 

And yes, that includes Sigourney Weaver.

Gusington

DAMMIT foiled again by trying to use logic and NOT pre-ordering!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 09:38:51 PM
DAMMIT foiled again by trying to use logic and NOT pre-ordering!

To make you feel worse, it's even HOT 1970's Cgi Sigourney Weaver.