Main Menu

Alien: Isolation

Started by Jarhead0331, October 06, 2014, 03:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 09:44:59 PM
In white panties?

Not that I could see.  Too busy getting my head bitten off. 

But yeah, that scene sort of haunts my dreams (in a good way) till that hand jumps out.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 06, 2014, 09:21:33 PM
Hmm. Perhaps there are those whom have had their nostalgia stirred and they want to like the game, and the ones that do not think it's any good are those that did not grow up with the same memories?

This is my theory, as well. However, I don't think that bodes well. A good game is a good game whether it evokes memories or not. If the only people who are finding enjoyment in it are those who are nostalgic for the original film, then I fear the game is most probably an ultimate failure. The nostalgic effect would certainly be cool initially, but once that fades away, the game must still stand or fall on its merit as a game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

The giant horrific alien hand always ruins good Sigourney Weaver white panty dreams for me too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2014, 09:49:43 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 06, 2014, 09:21:33 PM
Hmm. Perhaps there are those whom have had their nostalgia stirred and they want to like the game, and the ones that do not think it's any good are those that did not grow up with the same memories?

This is my theory, as well. However, I don't think that bodes well. A good game is a good game whether it evokes memories or not. If the only people who are finding enjoyment in it are those who are nostalgic for the original film, then I fear the game is most probably an ultimate failure. The nostalgic effect would certainly be cool initially, but once that fades away, the game must still stand or fall on its merit as a game.

I am going to try to view it as objectively as I can, once I spend some time with it.  But yes, I admit, I'm blinded by nostalga and OMG FIRST ALIEN FILM FTW right now. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 09:56:33 PM
The giant horrific alien hand always ruins good Sigourney Weaver white panty dreams for me too.

Oh, I know....

I know........     :(

Toonces

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 06, 2014, 09:37:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 09:34:48 PM
Nostromo DLC??

Quite, those that preordered get to be slaughtered as the crew of the Nostromo, complete with the original actors providing voices. 

And yes, that includes Sigourney Weaver.

I love it when people rub Gus's procrastinating nose in his game purchase failures!   >:D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

It sounds like the game is a single-time playthrough...story driven.

Is there any replayability?  I was hoping it would be something like dynamic in that every time you start the game you are in a new part of the ship, the alien spawns somewhere randomly and then it's a race against the alien/time to get off the ship. 

It doesn't sound like that is how the game plays.   :-\
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2014, 09:38:51 PM
DAMMIT foiled again by trying to use logic and NOT pre-ordering!

No, stay strong, brother!  You did not make a mistake!  Never pre-order games!!!

Quote from: Toonces on October 06, 2014, 11:03:03 PM

Is there any replayability?  I was hoping it would be something like dynamic in that every time you start the game you are in a new part of the ship, the alien spawns somewhere randomly and then it's a race against the alien/time to get off the ship. 

I read a couple of previews a while back and I thought they said that it was dynamic?  I'm sure some story elements will always be the same but I got the impression that locations of the alien etc. were randomised?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on October 06, 2014, 11:03:03 PM

I think I read smewhere that the alien's behavior is dynamic and unscripted and that the AI there is quite advanced. So, although the story is relatively linear, at least you never know where the alien is going to come from, or when.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

so you start game, tip toe down a corridor, turn a corner, see monster, hit it with a crow bar - is that the end of the game?

Jarhead0331

Pretty much. Word is, if you try to fight it, you die. If you try to run after it sees you, you die. I think the only way to survive is for it to never know you are there. While this sounds like an authentic "Alien" experience, if I'm going to be honest with myself, it really does not appeal to me.

I don't mind stealth games, but for me they only work when the player character has options for lethality. Think, assassins creed, batman arkham city and most recently, shadow of mordor.  Here, you are just a powerless woman. No wonder RPS wrote a rave review of the game. The main protagonist is a female who is fully clothed throughout the entire game.

Moreover, although there is combat in Alien, it mostly resolves around fighting synthetics with a very limited list of improvised weaponry.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

BanzaiCat

I think there is some combat in the game. At least, I saw some playthrough vids that showed the player fighting a syntheti...errr, excuse me, "artificial person."

Never saw combat with the Alien itself, which I suppose makes a certain sense given the game's storyline.

QuoteHere, you are just a powerless woman. No wonder RPS wrote a rave review of the game. The main protagonist is a female who is fully clothed throughout the entire game.

Ha, good points, JH. I didn't think of that.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 07, 2014, 06:23:47 AM
No wonder RPS wrote a rave review of the game. The main protagonist is a female who is fully clothed throughout the entire game.

genius

Gusington

JH summed it up perfectly.Why would I want to play a powerless woman? And that is why I didn't buy yet. And probably won't. I want to feel uber in a game, not weak and worthless! Plenty of opportunities for that in real life :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd