How Valve “devalued” video games, and why that’s great news

Started by Barthheart, April 20, 2012, 06:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Interesting article on pricing...

Valve's Gabe Newell once spoke about a series of pricing experiments on Steam, and stated that a price reduction of 75 percent should mean gross revenue remains constant, based on their prior experience. "Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40," he said. "Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation."

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/how-valve-devalued-video-games-and-why-thats-good-news-for-developers-and-p

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MIGMaster

Good read. Maybe the PC gaming machine is finally catching up with the full potential of the PC !!!

Another point - I can't ever see me buying a physical copy of a game again. It's just too inconvenient..... I find it hard to believe that I can say that, as I was suc a staunch supporter of physical acquisition in the past. I guess I'm truly committed to the Cloud concept  ???

Nefaro

QuoteWhich is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation

What a "revelation".  Who'd have thought that a game publisher's predictions were wrong?  ::)

Now if some of them would wise up about terrible DRM, maybe the revelations would be complete.

Toonces

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 20, 2012, 08:12:16 AM
Good read. Maybe the PC gaming machine is finally catching up with the full potential of the PC !!!

Another point - I can't ever see me buying a physical copy of a game again. It's just too inconvenient..... I find it hard to believe that I can say that, as I was suc a staunch supporter of physical acquisition in the past. I guess I'm truly committed to the Cloud concept  ???

I have rapidly begun to come to this conclusion too.  I may regret it in the future, but right now I just love Steam.  It is so frigging convenient.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Shelldrake

I don't even want to count the number of games that I have bought through Steam, Impulse, GamersGate, and GOG!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Bison

The issue I'm having with digital download is not the method of delivery.  It's that games are increasingly starting to register in the 20+ GB range.  So it takes forever to download and it eats through the download limits set by IP very fast.  Cheap is great until you get the $80 bill for exceeding download limit for a $2 game.