Strategic Vehicle Simulators

Started by ArizonaTank, April 20, 2012, 10:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

So been toying around with the beta for Carrier Command...and realizing how much I miss the genre. 

There were plenty of these games in the 80s and 90s where you would direct strategy, then hop into a vehicle and fight it out.  There have been a few games like this in recent times...Pacific Storm and Battlestations Pacific come to mind.  But I think the 80-90s were the "golden age".  So, I would love to see remakes of some of them:

My remake wish list would include:

Midwinter and Flames of Freedom by Microprose. 
Battlezone by Activision
Muzzle Velocity by Digi4Fun (my favorite WWII FPS / Strategy game, but won't play on my current systems...:()

Games that would be good, with also some rework of concept are:
Campaign I and II by Empire
1944 Across the Rhine

I also loved Battle of Britain by Lucas Arts- But the spirit of that game is pretty well covered by Battle of Britain II (originally by Rowan, but picked up and improved by A2A)

Curious what other games folks remember from the Strategic Vehicle Simulators

BTW, Carrier Command is on the right track...it looks like it will be everything its ancestor was....

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

Domark's SVGA Harrier game. You planned the invasion of an island held by Indonesian forces. Then, when the thing was going Full-tilt Boogie you flew Harrier missions to take out enemy forces so your guys could keep in track with their missions. Graphics were primitive but it was fun vector-thrusting and blowing the crap out of stuff and then coming back for a vertical landing on your assault carrier.

Also, IIRC M1 Tank Platoon had a good strategic view where you could command the other units when not in your own M1.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys