I give up. I really give up.

Started by Johnnie, June 01, 2015, 07:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie

I made the mistake of purchasing IL2 Sturmovik CLIFFS OF DOVER on Steam earlier today.   It wont run. I get a screen that says something like it is loading VC redist. from Microsoft and then it pops back to desktop.  That's not really the point.

I tried to contact Steam Support to get the problem fixed;  a few other people posted the same problem and have received no solution and I wanted to post a "ditto" to add my name to the list.

I tried to post a reply to the support forum.  After at least an hour of trying to login and/or create a "support account"  or forum account whatever I was supposed to do, I simply gave up.  It was the most frustrating and counter intuitive activity in which I have ever engaged.  Anyone else ever had this problem with Steam Support?  I can not bring myself to try again.  I'll gladly forfeit the price of the game rather than waste another hour of my life.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Johnnie on June 01, 2015, 07:21:13 PM
I made the mistake of purchasing IL2 Sturmovik on Steam earlier today.   It wont run. I get a screen that says something like it is loading VC redist. from Microsoft and then it pops back to desktop.  That's not really the point.

I tried to contact Steam Support to get the problem fixed;  a few other people posted the same problem and have received no solution and I wanted to post a "ditto" to add my name to the list.

I tried to post a reply to the support forum.  After at least an hour of trying to login and/or create a "support account"  or forum account whatever I was supposed to do, I simply gave up.  It was the most frustrating and counter intuitive activity in which I have ever engaged.  Anyone else ever had this problem with Steam Support?  I can not bring myself to try again.  I'll gladly forfeit the price of the game rather than waste another hour of my life.

I know you said the install crash is less the issue than trying to get help from Steam but which IL2 did you get, IL2 1946 or Cliffs of Dover? If it was the former, you can also get it at GOG for 10 bucks. if that version doesn't run then you know you have an issue with the game itself. If it does run, then you have an issue with the Steam installer or something. You may be throwing 10 good bucks after a few bad but at least you will know where the issue is.

http://www.gog.com/game/il_2_sturmovik_1946

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Deutschmark

Hi Johnnie,

Go here they can help you, they are a mod site that deal in all kinds of IL2 installs.
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php
And try here as well.
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php

Hope that helps.

Deutschmark

Johnnie

Thanks guys.  No joy yet.  It is Cliffs of Dover I'm having the problem with.  IL2 1946 runs fine.  Thanks again. I am trying the sites you provided.

Nefaro

LOL @ Steam "support". 

I'm not sure such a thing even exists.  ???

Pete Dero

There should be a file vcredist_x86.exe in the Steam game folder under the Redist map.

Maybe you can run the file from this folder ?

Also people say you need the Team Fusion patches ( http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711 ) to run it on windows 8 !

MengJiao

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 02, 2015, 04:52:43 AM
There should be a file vcredist_x86.exe in the Steam game folder under the Redist map.

Maybe you can run the file from this folder ?

Also people say you need the Team Fusion patches ( http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711 ) to run it on windows 8 !

That was my experience, but be careful and have your malware detectors and removers ready since the patch-retrieval set-up for TEAM FUSION has XML rerouting to mirrors (which Chrome will not do apparently) that may have some malware.  It least that's how it seemed to me.

Jack Nastyface

I think I once described the experience you are going through as the "Sisyphean hell that is Steam support".
FWIW, I look upon steam as merely a content aggregator, much like Netflix.  They likely cannot fix the games they distribute; they can only address problems arising from their game distribution engine.  I think your best bet is to hang out with the fanbois and see if they can't recommend something.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Nefaro on June 01, 2015, 08:42:17 PM
LOL @ Steam "support". 

My experience with steam support is they play the " Close the ticket asap" game. They dont really give a shit about the problem, they get rated, therefore indirectly pay, based on tickets closed. They typically tell you there is no problem. Go away.

On the plus side most steam games just work.

I am still pissed at the crippling of DoW 2. It used to run on g4wl. When they killed that they killed the game, it would not run. Steam did eventually fix it so the campaign can be played. Thanks for nothing, it is so tightly scripted you feel like a rat in a maze. The real game value was in multiplayer or skirmish vs ai. Those remained broken.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Nefaro

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 02, 2015, 10:17:27 AM
LOL @ Steam "support". 

My experience with steam support is they play the " Close the ticket asap" game. They dont really give a shit about the problem, they get rated, therefore indirectly pay, based on tickets closed. They typically tell you there is no problem. Go away.

Yup.

That's been exactly my experience, too.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 02, 2015, 10:17:27 AM
LOL @ Steam "support". 

On the plus side most steam games just work.

I am still pissed at the crippling of DoW 2. It used to run on g4wl. When they killed that they killed the game, it would not run. Steam did eventually fix it so the campaign can be played. Thanks for nothing, it is so tightly scripted you feel like a rat in a maze. The real game value was in multiplayer or skirmish vs ai. Those remained broken.

I guess that's one of the issues dealing with an organisation that has 25 million customers. It may be the biggest games platform in the world but that also translates into how visible you are as a customer. Its something the smaller wargames companies such as matrix and battlefront do infinitely better.

They are all about volume to keep themselves running - and even a thousand people complaining in a customer base of 25 million is but a whisper that no one takes any note of.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.