CM Bulge details posted

Started by WallysWorld, March 27, 2015, 09:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

A separate game and not an expansion for CMBN.

Basic Info:
Covers October 1944 - January 1945
This is a separate game from CMBN, NOT a module or expansion of CMBN!
The emphasis is obviously on the Battle for the Bulge, but other western front operations are also in play, including the Hürtgen Forest, Aachen, Nordwind, etc.
A future Module will expand the game all the way to VE-Day, focusing on operations within Germany from February to May.

BF post with campaign details, partial vehicle list and a few screenshots: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119001-more-bulge-info-and-a-few-screenshots/
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JudgeDredd

Not only is their patching system and version system a nightmare, but now you don't know what's a module and what's a game   >:(

I know...shutting up  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Cyrano

Far more eager to see the EF stuff step backwards, but, hey, who am I kidding:

GIMME!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

sandman2575

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 27, 2015, 09:58:52 AM
Not only is their patching system and version system a nightmare, but now you don't know what's a module and what's a game   >:(

I know...shutting up  ;D

It's probably safe to assume that any future release scheduled to be a "module" has a very high chance of turning into a standalone full-priced release.  I've assumed that post-Commonwealth module.

Sir Slash

The Sturmtiger!!!  :o Blessed Excrement. Count me in.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

So when you want to upgrade you have to buy each 'patch' individually?

Cyrano

I'm pretty sure WaR was always planned as a separate game from CM:BN.

At the same time, I think they'll still be in the module business for the balance of the Eastern Front.

What makes it all hinkey, of course, is that sooner or later they'll jump the engine from 3.0 in a way that requires a substantial upgrade to BN, FI, RT, and BS...

The one thing about which they've been quite quiet since mentioning it is the retrofitting of CMSF with all the goodness that is CMBS.

The terrain and kit additions for WaR (I don't know that that's what they're calling it, but it strikes me as logical) make it well worth my while...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jomni

Maybe because the setting is snow.  There has never been a snow map / game in the current generation CM.
Needs a lot of repainting even for the reused objects.   Once they developed snow, they can do East Front winter campaigns.

Elvis

Quote from: Cyrano on March 27, 2015, 03:12:39 PM

At the same time, I think they'll still be in the module business for the balance of the Eastern Front.

What makes it all hinkey, of course, is that sooner or later they'll jump the engine from 3.0 in a way that requires a substantial upgrade to BN, FI, RT, and BS...

The one thing about which they've been quite quiet since mentioning it is the retrofitting of CMSF with all the goodness that is CMBS.

The terrain and kit additions for WaR (I don't know that that's what they're calling it, but it strikes me as logical) make it well worth my while...

You are 100% correct. This has always been slated for being a stand alone game. And BFC is not out of the module business. You're also correct about future engine Upgrades. But, this title will be (like CMRT and CMBS) using the 3.0 engine. So, 4.0 won't be any time soon.

Elvis

I know that there was a thread or post or 2 that Steve had made laying out what the plan was for releases. Doing a quick search of the forum, I couldn't find it. But it is interesting that I found this:

QuoteThe second [WW2 Title, WW2 Normandy being the first] will pick up where Normandy leaves off and go through the end of the war. Because of the terrain, weather, and equipment changes in the Fall of 1944, what follows is basically an entirely different game from our perspective. Far too much for Modules to handle.

That was for 2008  :o

It was kind of interesting skimming through it because we have been (and continue to) doing pretty much what he laid out back then. The only major deviation is that at that time, the concept of being able to back-port releases with Upgrades was either not considered or not thought possible.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/83210-the-road-ahead-a-recap/?hl=%2Broad+%2Bahead

I'm gonna still try to find the list that Steve made of releases. If memory serves there are/were supposed to be 4 Eastern Front stand alone games,with modules for each.

jomni

Quote from: Elvis on March 27, 2015, 06:34:03 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on March 27, 2015, 03:12:39 PM

You are 100% correct. This has always been slated for being a stand alone game. And BFC is not out of the module business. You're also correct about future engine Upgrades. But, this title will be (like CMRT and CMBS) using the 3.0 engine. So, 4.0 won't be any time soon.

The way I see it,  New theaters are always full games.  Modules are just for equipment and nationality.

Elvis

Quote from: Tuna on March 27, 2015, 02:29:14 PM
So when you want to upgrade you have to buy each 'patch' individually?

Patches are always free.

Sir Slash

The Gustav add-on for CMFI included snow in some of the scenarios. I thought then they were angling for a Bulge or east front inclusion down the road.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

TacticalWargames

Though I too want to see more East front games (so we can get to '41--42) I happy to see any CMx2 release. Must say I haven't bought CMFI nor the vehicle pack for CMBN but have everything else. Bulge will be cool as I hope we get deep snow which effects movement rates..unlike the snow in CMFI which is really just cosmetic. With every engine upgrade it gets better and better and those upgrades are well worth the money.