Blizzard Announces Layoffs

Started by LongBlade, February 29, 2012, 02:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Just got this off the press wire:

QuoteIRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that it has conducted a review of its business based on current organizational needs. Following a completion of the review, the company is conducting a global reduction in workforce of approximately 600 employees. The company anticipates approximately 90% of the affected employees will come from departments not related to game development. The World of Warcraft® development team will not be impacted.

"Constant evaluation of teams and processes is necessary for the long-term health of any business. Over the last several years, we've grown our organization tremendously and made large investments in our infrastructure in order to better serve our global community. However, as Blizzard and the industry have evolved we've also had to make some difficult decisions in order to address the changing needs of our company," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "Knowing that, it still does not make letting go of some of our team members any easier. We're grateful to have had the opportunity to work with the people impacted by today's announcement, we're proud of the contributions they made here at Blizzard, and we wish them well as they move forward."

Blizzard's current development and publishing schedules will not be impacted. The company will announce specific release plans for Diablo® III in the near future, and it's continuing to drive aggressively toward beta testing for World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria™, Blizzard DOTA, and StarCraft® II: Heart of the Swarm™. Blizzard also remains committed to maintaining its high standards of quality for customer service delivery. In addition, Blizzard is still recruiting and looking to hire qualified developers for a number of open positions. Further details are available at http://jobs.blizzard.com.

The accounting charges associated with Blizzard's reduction in workforce are not anticipated to be material to Activision Blizzard, Inc. and were included in the 2012 financial outlook that was provided on February 9, 2012.

And the winner for Most Ironic Statement today is...

QuoteFurther details are available at http://jobs.blizzard.com.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Eerie. The form letter I got when I was let go last year had almost the exact same opening paragraph, sans the Blizzard reference of course:

"Constant evaluation of teams and processes is necessary for the long-term health of any business. Over the last several years, we've grown our organization tremendously and made large investments in our infrastructure in order to better serve our global community. However, as Blizzard and the industry have evolved we've also had to make some difficult decisions in order to address the changing needs of our company," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "Knowing that, it still does not make letting go of some of our team members any easier. We're grateful to have had the opportunity to work with the people impacted by today's announcement, we're proud of the contributions they made here at Blizzard, and we wish them well as they move forward."

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 29, 2012, 02:32:33 PM
Eerie. The form letter I got when I was let go last year had almost the exact same opening paragraph, sans the Blizzard reference of course:

PR departments have probably spent decades refining that message to be the least offensive possible.

Nefaro

Stock letter originally written by "The Bobs"??

Gusington

^Most likely.

Gah it sucks either way. I wonder if this layoff was specifically engineered to make even more money when Diablo III is finally released by having fewer staff to pay.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

I knew this was going to happen after I closed my WoW account. I feel so guilty......

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 29, 2012, 02:44:40 PM
I knew this was going to happen after I closed my WoW account. I feel so guilty......

Actually WoW is the one department not affected, according to the release.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on February 29, 2012, 02:41:58 PM
^Most likely.

Gah it sucks either way. I wonder if this layoff was specifically engineered to make even more money when Diablo III is finally released by having fewer staff to pay.

Funny.. that was my original thought.

"Perhaps this means Diablo 3 is about ready to ship and they're cutting staff now."

Gusington

^I'm sure that is one of the reasons if not THE reason.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 29, 2012, 02:44:40 PM

Ditto... think of all those Chinese gold farmer's families
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.