Main Menu

Diablo 3

Started by Bison, May 15, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well it goes live tomorrow.  I pre-downloaded during the beta weekend.  Unfortunately it's going to be a long day at work tomorrow, so I won't get to play until late or the following day.

Wodin

Internet is awash with complaints about always on and getting booted offline and to the log on screen. I don't normally make a stand with regards to DRM but when it breaks a game and is disguised as something I need (i.e auction houses and online play with offline character could involve cheating, though I'd never play online anway!) then I make a stand here.

New and shiny isn't enough. I enjoyed D1 but I'm not handing money over to Blizzard who have obviously gone with a draconian method of DRM that at the moment breaks the game.

Sometimes to be honest I understand Zombie movies more and consumerism.

I do get the draw to games and the put up with crap to play them, but not with this one.

Bison

It's the first day with hundreds of thousands of players.  I'm sure there will be some issues.  That being said Blizzard has a little experience handling large volumes of customers on it's servers and a long track record of stable games and servers.  I'm not worry about them figuring it out.

Bison

Well that was pretty painless.  20 minutes to install, a log in and I'm in game.

Well boys and girls Diablo 3 is live and I'm going in for a few minutes before bed.

Between this and CoH, I may have found a temporary gaming nirvana.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Wodin on May 15, 2012, 03:36:00 AM
Internet is awash with complaints about always on and getting booted offline and to the log on screen. I don't normally make a stand with regards to DRM but when it breaks a game and is disguised as something I need (i.e auction houses and online play with offline character could involve cheating, though I'd never play online anway!) then I make a stand here.

I'm with you.  My lady and I both enjoyed Diablo 2, and I was mildly excited about the latest release, but I'm not going to support this kind of crap.  Blizzard have mentioned several reasons for doing what they did which supposedly make the experience better for the player, but not a single one of them preclude them from making an offline mode for single player.  They could've done it if they'd wanted to, but they didn't.  They won't get my money.

Bison

Started up a monk and played for almost an hour and a half.  Good stuff.  No issue logging in or with the server.

Tpek

Would you recommend getting the game?

How hard is it?

How many customization options for your toons are there?

Do mooks/creeps/monsters constantly respawn making it so you're playing a silly MMORPG without instanced content?

Is there an actual plot?

Tpek

Anyway, bought it on an impulse now.

Anyone knows how to choose where the downloader/installer will download files to?
It never asked me and just started downloading/installing straight away.

Bison

It should be in you downloads folder.

The areas will respawn if you leave the game and return to them.

Fetrik

Quote from: Tpek on May 15, 2012, 06:16:33 AM

Do mooks/creeps/monsters constantly respawn making it so you're playing a silly MMORPG without instanced content?

I haven't played D3 but in the other games you keep restarting games when you run into too hard challenges with the intent to "farm" the lower areas.

Bison

Quote from: Fetrik on May 15, 2012, 07:29:16 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 15, 2012, 06:16:33 AM

I haven't played D3 but in the other games you keep restarting games when you run into too hard challenges with the intent to "farm" the lower areas.

Yes.  Especially when playing the very difficult levels.  The loot stats really make a difference.

Fetrik

Anyway... I visited my Blizzard account and noted the buying price, slightly tempted and then visited one of the biggest PC game sellers in Sweden on the web and noticed about 15 euro diff...
I guess it is nice to allow the resellers a chance but daaamn shopping from Blizz is expensive.
Either way.. I am resisting, for now.

Tpek

Quote from: Bison on May 15, 2012, 07:20:01 AM
It should be in you downloads folder.

The areas will respawn if you leave the game and return to them.

What downloads folder?
I can't see any such folder and none of my 3 HDs/Partitions seem to show any significant decrease in space :P

Fetrik

Propably in the documents/recived files

Gusington

I am waiting for my pre-ordered physical copy to be shipped. Really looking forward to this.

Between Diablo III and Warlock I have my voodoo bone being tickled in all the right places.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd