I'm not getting TW: Warhammer and here's why

Started by W8taminute, December 12, 2015, 06:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

6 months before release and they announce that the Chaos faction will be a separate DLC?  I know this is not new news but what is new is my attitude towards this type of extortion and that is these greedy bastards will not get my money.  It's as simple as that.

Are we encouraging this corporate greed and money grabs via dlc's and pre-orders because we absolutely have to have a game?  Yes we are as long as you open your wallet and say 'well that's all right.  I don't mind paying a little extra because company xyz and their games are so worth it'.

DLC's lead to microtransactions and microtransactions lead unfinished released products. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

And unfinished release projects lead to suffering.

I am 1000% sure I'll be buying TW: Warhammer, and I am 150% sure I'll be buying it next Christmas on sale as an Emperor's Edition. Problem solved.

I cannot however promise I won't be all over the Deathwing game the moment it releases...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

There is almost certainly some sort of greed aspect to it; I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Sega has MY well-being as a concern.

However, I think that what we are seeing is a long overdue (IMHO) increase in the price of game software.  Honestly, the price of games has, if anything, decreased with the advent of bundles and sales all the time.  When the price of virtually everything else has gone up, games have really stagnated.

A game like TW:Warhammer, with all of the eventual DLC, is in total probably worth far in excess of the asking price of $60 (I'm guessing).  It's probably a $100 game.  But gamers are going to go ape shit if the game costs more than the $60 gold standard, so the developers get around this by creating withholding content and charging for DLC.

While I don't necessarily like it, I do see the reasoning behind it, if my idea above is correct.  And, as a consumer, I do have a choice in which DLC I purchase. 

I don't think Sega is the great evil we all want to think them to be.  Their games are pretty damn awesome, and a real bargain when it comes to cost/entertainment value. 

Just a different perspective.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

That's reasonable. The price of AAA games hasn't gone up appreciably while costs for development have shot past Jupiter.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

AchillesLastStand

Not a fan of Sega in any way, shape or form.
I have little doubt they are the ones pulling the strings when it comes to DLC and the TW series. Ditto for what they did for Company of Heroes 2.

Bardolph

With the general adoption of digital downloads there is no real reason to pre-order any game. Though they will keep trying with exclusive items and whatnot.

A more cogent argument here:
http://kotaku.com/5909105/stop-preordering-video-games-please

Hold strong ;)

jamus34

I've reached a point that I almost refuse to buy games from large publishers.

If there's a AAA title I'm interested in I'll wait a year and get the collectors ed for $10.

I'd much rather give my money to the small devs. and indie guys who strive to make fun games *gasp, what a novel idea*
Insert witty comment here.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bardolph on December 12, 2015, 11:14:04 PM
With the general adoption of digital downloads there is no real reason to pre-order any game. Though they will keep trying with exclusive items and whatnot.

A more cogent argument here:
http://kotaku.com/5909105/stop-preordering-video-games-please

Hold strong ;)

If your plan is to pickup a game on release, then pre ordering does make sense since usually you get get a pre order discount and sometimes extras such as beta access or dlc.  However, if you don't plan to buy on release and you don't care about saving some money (unless patient enough for a sale) then would agree no reason to pre order.  All depends on your situation.

jomni

I'm not a fan of the setting in the first place.

Just wait for the sale.

undercovergeek

I USUALLY wholeheartedly agree, fallout 4, witcher 3, pillars of eternity all passed me by and I was amazed to see a sale for witcher 3 recently and I shook my head at the fervour to buy them so quickly but Sega has me twice

It's total war

And while I'm on my knees ashamed at my weakness it's also warhammer - they may as well just take my soul

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 12, 2015, 11:44:02 PM
If your plan is to pickup a game on release, then pre ordering does make sense since usually you get get a pre order discount and sometimes extras such as beta access or dlc.

This is the issue, though.  Why would anyone plan to buy a game at release, before anyone knows whether it's any good or riddled with bugs?  Waiting for initial reviews/patches seems to be the wise choice here, surely?

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 13, 2015, 03:57:33 AM
If your plan is to pickup a game on release, then pre ordering does make sense since usually you get get a pre order discount and sometimes extras such as beta access or dlc.

This is the issue, though.  Why would anyone plan to buy a game at release, before anyone knows whether it's any good or riddled with bugs?  Waiting for initial reviews/patches seems to be the wise choice here, surely?

Because if you wait, the price goes up to maximum for a period of time.  Before it starts going into sales later. 

So you can either save a little on the whole package up front, wait for reviews and then suffer the full price brunt for months if you want it at that point, or wait an undisclosed amount of time (using months as a typical scale here but varies) and begin to get it for small, then larger, discounts the longer you wait.

Publishers value their immediate release sales much more.  So they've been adding extras, small discounts, and the much maligned Release Day DLC to encourage such quick return on investment.   

I can understand a small pre-order discount, and maybe the occasional little extra.  But whole release day faction pack expansions sold separately is a bit shady.  It's obviously content that has been finished along with the rest of the game by release day.  Why isn't it included as part of the core game, because it's been just that through development (included)? 

While the prices of these AAA titles have remained static for quite awhile, much of the overhead and distribution costs have been eliminated with digital distro.  What's more, they also sell in increasingly larger quantities than they did in previous decades.  The industry is a monetary behemoth with sales quantities steadily increasing over the years.  These $50-$60 "AAA" titles aren't part of some niche business where disks and manuals are being put in ziplocked baggies, in some dude's garage, and being mailed out to a couple hundred people anymore.  The "game prices haven't changed" reasoning isn't as cut & dried as it's made out to be when demand and sales quantities have skyrocketed so much.

FlickJax

There will be a deal somewhere and it will still be cheaper than titles on release for my consoles and it's total warhammer for god sake.....just gotta have it.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 13, 2015, 03:57:33 AM

Well, for there to be first impressions or reviews, someone has to buy it especially since I trust gamers over reviewers more:). And to be honest, there are just some games that the only opinion I am going to trust is my own.  And if bought on steam nowadays, you can get a refund d anyway within two weeks.

If a am iffy on a game, then I certainly don't pre order but there are certain games that I know I'll do anyway so might as well save a few bucks and get some goodies.

And speaking of bugs....certainly there have been some stinkers for people, but to be honest if it wasn't for public forums, I personally wouldn't notice the majority of them and sometimes think looking in forums ruins games before I even get started.  Back in the early days before the Internet, I am sure games were equally buggy but you just didn't have widespread discussions on them.  And if they did have issues, you would be very lucky to receive a patch some day.  Just as one recent example...the batman game.  It had big issues where they even pulled the game....however I bought real cheap a played a bit .....never really encounterd the issues everyone else reported but stopped playing because of the bad press....I know that was stupid me, but it does have an impact.

W8taminute

Good points everyone.  I get it that publishers are in it to make money.  I don't mind buying DLC if it is released months later and actually brings new game concepts to the table, not just shiny new units and a new faction.  What I am struggling with is what they did here with TW: Warhammer; releasing DLC on game day release and all the DLC is is just another faction and it's corresponding units.  And which faction did they choose?  The one most of us Warhammer geeks want to dabble with the most and that is Chaos. 

I'll wait for price to come down to 10 or less or maybe 20 at most.  I definitely will not purchase for full price on day one and pay the extra exorbitant fee for the Chaos faction DLC either. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk