New modpack for IL2 1946

Started by WallysWorld, April 14, 2016, 01:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Just in case anyone is still playing IL2 1946 and using the default 4.12.2M game without any mods.

This mod was released this month which updates a lot of vanilla stuff in the game: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=20959

I just installed it on my computer and really like the results. I'll use it instead of HSFX which is also very good.

It is a 12 GB download though, but it's very easy to install. Just run the first file and extract it to your IL2 1946 folder and it will extract all files. I would make a backup of your game folder beforehand though.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Jarhead0331

Do you think this is better than CUP?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

WallysWorld

I've never tried CUP myself due to the complexity of installing it, but here's a poster that has tried both:

Hamm66:

"As someone who has installed and used CUP and this new VP Modpack I feel I can add some comments.

CUP does include most of what VP Modpack has to offer but CUP is a lengthy install process requiring some knowledge but much testing to get the end user's desired product.

VP Modpack is a simple install (one single action) and then you go. If you want to add or modify after it is easy to do as it is not compressed into SFS files so the average Modder can mod to his hearts content. CUP is not so easy so mess with.

FPS in VP Modpack is much better out of the box, I am getting 54fps average in Black Death with VP Modpack and 30fps average in CUP.

Both are fairly easy to use for the novice or non Modder.

VP Modpack is ideal for period or theatre based packs activated via JSGME where CUP attempts to have it all in one install. Users decide what they prefer between these options.

I could go on but basically these two concepts are entirely different in their approach and neither makes the other redundant.

I for one am glad of the option provided by Vpmedia as it offers the community an easy way to mod up without the need to 'have it all'. "

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=20959&finish=15&start=17
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Jarhead0331

VP Modpack is ideal for period or theatre based packs activated via JSGME where CUP attempts to have it all in one install. Users decide what they prefer between these options.

This confuses me as to what exactly the VP mod is...is it a framework for adding mods, or does it actually come with mods? CUP gave me 4 different eras of flight with all the maps, aircraft and objects, does the VP Modpack include the same?

I mean, I'm by no means an experienced modder, but I was able to get CUP working on the first attempt. It just required a lot of different downloads, but the instructions I recall being pretty straightforward. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

WallysWorld

It does indeed installing a bunch of graphics, sounds and other updates from a variety of other mods including CUP and DBW. I flew a couple of quick missions just to see and I did notice new explosions, water graphics and different sounds from the HSFX modded IL2 that I had before.

The main goal of this pack is to update every stock texture/3d possible and add the best quality ww2 mods without ruining the games performance or the gameplay.
It's the final result of more than 7 years of work by the SAS community and lot of the material was extracted from DBW (all maps, objects and cockpit retextures included).

- complete DBW objects set with added extras (5110 objects)
- all stock buildings retextured
- by default only the best maps (~200) are in the list, but a secondary all.ini is available with 350+ maps of the full DBW set
- all stock maps reworked using the best community repaints available by Cyberolas, Redko, Whitecat, etc.
- complete default skinmod for all planes and most theatres
- complete cockpit upgrade from DBW and various sources
- 3d fixes for wheels, cowlings & props by PA Jeronimo
- FXEvolution effects mod (Holy grail and Potenz, Gurner, IceEagle)
- Jivers soundmod
- reorganized FMB lists
- new GUI, artwork: www.nicolastrudgian.com
- all stock ships retextured, ShipPack3 added, also some new ships by Gio and Asheshouse
- all the armor, vehicles, trains and artillery updated with Wflyers new 3d and/or textures
- Eperviers and Wflyers new vehicle packs added
- 100+ extra mod planes for ww2, 501 flyable planes altogether

Jarhead0331

I'm confused by the install instructions...first it says single click installation. Then right after that, it says the only requirements is the SAS megamod. Then, after that, it says required confi.ini entries...is it single click simple installation, or not? Do I need to download and install all 12 parts of the SAS megamod? Do I need to add code to an ini file?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

WallysWorld

Here is what I did:

1. Have a clean install of 4.12.2M and a backup of IL2 1946 on the side.
2. Download all 12 parts of the SAS Mega Patch into a single folder: https://www.mediafire.com/?kp8n59eobi0an
3. Run the first file of the 12 and point it to your IL2 1946 folder.
4. Download all 16 parts of the VP Modpack and also the patch into a single folder: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&get=2296
5. I unzipped the first file using WinRAR and it automatically unzips all 16 parts into a new folder. This will take some time.
6. After the unzipping was done, I copied the contents of the unzipped folder into my IL2 1946 folder. It's a big copy so again it will take time.
7. Unzip the patch file and copy the contents to the IL2 1946 folder.
8. Lastly I pasted the following lines into the IL2 conf.ini file after the very last line of the file:

[Mods]
PALMODsColor=0
PALQMBLinesMap=10
PALQMBLinesPl0=25
PALQMBLinesPl1=20
PALQMBLinesPl2=19
PALQMBLinesPl3=18
PALQMBLinesPl4=18
PALQMBLinesPl5=18
PALQMBLinesPl6=18
PALQMBLinesPl7=18
BombBayDoors=0
RandomSplash=1
netCallsign=
TracersPlayer=400
TracersAircrafts=300
TracersWorld=25
TracersWirbelwind=5
HUDLogLines=3
HUDLogColor1=80FFFFFF
HUDLogColor2=10FFFFFF
HUDLogBottomColor1=80FFFFFF
HUDLogBottomColor2=10FFFFFF

[DGen]
CampaignLength=Long
MissionDistance=75
GroundIntensity=High
AirIntensity=High
RandomFlights=5
CampaignAI=Normal
CampaignMissions=Hard
MaxBomberSkill=1
SlowFire=20
MaxFLAK=100
OperationVictory=1000
OperationDefeat=-1000
WarVictory=10000
WarDefeat=-10000
;UseParkedPlanes=1
NoAirfieldHighlight=0

9. Run IL2 1946 using the IL-2 Selector program that installed with the SAS patch and resides in your IL2 1946 folder. Make sure the Game Type option is set to SAS Modact.

It's quite a bit of work and downloading, but I did it all in one morning. My IL2 1946 folder went from just under 10 GB to 30 GB with the above.

Jarhead0331

That's all what I suspected. It's not complicated, but I really don't see how it's any easier than CUP really and one click installation is a bit of a stretch. LoL.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog