Battlefield 1 limited open beta

Started by W8taminute, August 31, 2016, 06:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Quote from: Surtur on September 02, 2016, 05:30:26 AM
What if I am not looking for a realistic sim, but a believable one? Battlefield 1942 was nowhere near a sim, but I still could immerse myself into it enough to believe I was fighting World War 2. My impression with this Battlefield One however, is that it is just too much, too fast. Are my impressions correct?

What you might appreciate is Verdun.

http://www.verdungame.com/

This is my vid on the PS4 (just released), but the PC version has had a few years to bed down and become stable.

Grim.Reaper

Finally got to play....looks nice....but I just can't play these multiplayer games, constantly get killed from people I don't even see.  Might check it out again when more is known about single player campaign.

Gusington

That is what I am waiting for. I am prepared to suspend my disbelief hardcore.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

I think this should be seen as a Steampunk title instead.  Fantasy WWI

Gusington

I nixing the same thing, looking at the screen shots.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Surtur

Thanks Spelk, Verdun is on my wishlist!

Just had a go at Battlefield. It is fun once you can forget it is supposed to be World War 1, but it doesn't scratch my WW1 itch.
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

W8taminute

This game is not meant to be taken as a serious WW1 combat sim.  Buy Verdun for that which also seems to be a very good game.  I think the appeal with BF1 is not so much that it's set in WW1 but the game is set in a historical time setting as opposed to what the competitor is planning on offering. 

It's so easy to judge the book by the cover and say, 'well this isn't a serious or historically accurate WW1 sim so I'm not playing, boo!!!'

Sometimes in life it's good to let your hair down, ease the seat back and relax, and play a game for fun without having to think too much.  I like to scratch that itch as much as I do a hardcore historically accurate game if you catch my meaning. 

Preaching aside, I really love how the squad system works.  You are rewarded when you cooperate with your immediate squad but it is not necessary to play the game.  You can lone wolf it as well.  If you have friends that you can play with then watch the magic happen when everyone does what the squad leader directs.  Assuming of course the squad leader is militarily competent. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Surtur

I am aware of that, I had just hoped they would bend the Battlefield forumula just a tiny bit to the period, instead of not at all. But as you say, it is a solid multiplayer shooter with a great squad system :)
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

spelk

I discuss Verdun & Battlefield 1 a little in episode 8 of my Laserbeards podcast...

https://laserbeards.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/laserbeards-gaming-podcast-episode-8/

I think the worst crime BF1 commits, apart from just wrapping their BF engine in a pseudo-WWI skin, is leave out the French.

Verdun is probably the FPS most grogs would want to play, but I totally understand the draw of a BF game with a WWI "fantasy" skin. I'm a big BF fan, simply because it prizes class and team combat over "lone wolf" hybrid poonage.

Gusington

^And Verdun players shoot us in the head repeatedly every 30 seconds.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

spelk

Quote from: Gusington on September 18, 2016, 06:27:32 PM
^And Verdun players shoot us in the head repeatedly every 30 seconds.

Keep your head down soldier! ;)

Gusington

I'm not that tall...my head is always down :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: IronX on August 31, 2016, 07:05:10 PM
I'm constantly spawning with no weapons penis. So until I can sort that out, it's kind of a run around until you get shot simulator

so its a sim of Mirth's love life?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.