Update from Battlefront on what is next for CMx2

Started by WallysWorld, September 15, 2016, 10:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Steve from Battlefront posted today what they are working on for the CMx2 series.

What's next for CMx2
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

RyanE

Huh...I thought 4.0 was years away.  I noted he didn't give any kind of timeline.  I know CMFI was supposed to get a new module, but timing is murky for it.

Zulu1966

Quote from: RyanE on September 16, 2016, 08:03:00 AM
Huh...I thought 4.0 was years away.  I noted he didn't give any kind of timeline.  I know CMFI was supposed to get a new module, but timing is murky for it.
I think you are talking about CMX3 which is years away - if they are even still actively working on it.This is a different thing. Update 4.0 to engine 2.0.  the nomenclature has become murkier than the timescales though it was a post in the link that called it engine 4.0 rather than BF.

Be  interested to know if they have indicated any of the new features anywhere
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RyanE

By the looks of historical data, you can sit on your wallets for a bit longer.

WallysWorld

Upgrade 4.0 details:  4.0 details

*  New vehicle follow capability.  Yes, yes, I can hear the CMBO customers saying "FINALLY!" since they were the first to ask for it's inclusion nearly 20 years ago.  While this is not an all encompassing "Follow Command" as we wanted (sorry, we tried... it proved unwieldy) it does allow vehicles to follow each other in a column with appropriate "traffic control" behavior.  The UI is very simple. You select Vehicle 1, plot a path, select Vehicle 2, hover the mouse over Vehicle 1 (similar to embarking infantry) then click to associate Vehicle 2 to Vehicle 1's movement.  Vehicle 2 will now follow Vehicle 1 as best it can.

* Consolidate (Squad) Command.  This allows a Squad to internally reorganize from two or three Teams into one or two Teams, depending on conditions.  No more will Squads be forced to live with depleted Teams which could better function if consolidated.  Personnel is reassigned by the game (not player controlled), however it is voluntary and therefore Squads don't spontaneously Consolidate all on their own.

*  New tracer and muzzle special effects.  The old system was designed in a different era of graphics card capabilities. We've long been requested to bring things up to more current standards.

*  Ability to place Flavor Objects in the 3D environment more directly.  The clunky UI that exists currently made many map makers opt out of using many, if any, Flavor Objects.  The new feature works by letting the map maker "clone" a placed Flavor Object while in 3D mode, then place that cloned object anywhere.  This is especially helpful when placing lots of the same things, like telephone poles, gravestones, etc.  That in turn means more atmospheric environments for people to play in with a lot less time and energy.

* AI Orders now includes an option to "Withdraw", which means it moves backwards and ends its move by facing the direction it came instead of the direction it traveled. This might not seem like a big deal, but it is :D

* AI Facing can now be specified.  Similar to "Withdraw", this allows the scenario designer to be sure what direction AI Groups pay attention to instead of leaving it up to the TacAI to decide on a case by case basis.  This improves awareness, responsiveness, and defensive capabilities.

* AI can now be ordered to perform Area Fire in its AI Plan.  This allows the AI to place fire on particular spots on the assumption that the enemy might be there.  Woodlines, reverse ridges, buildings, etc.  This is a compromise between the current system (absolutely no AI area fire) and everybody's fantasy system (the AI is smart enough to know when and where to apply Area Fire all on its own).  Preliminary results indicate that this will be a rather nasty surprise for single player types
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Zulu1966

*  New vehicle follow capability.  Yes, yes, I can hear the CMBO customers saying "FINALLY!" since they were the first to ask for it's inclusion nearly 20 years ago.  While this is not an all encompassing "Follow Command" as we wanted (sorry, we tried... it proved unwieldy) it does allow vehicles to follow each other in a column with appropriate "traffic control" behavior.  The UI is very simple. You select Vehicle 1, plot a path, select Vehicle 2, hover the mouse over Vehicle 1 (similar to embarking infantry) then click to associate Vehicle 2 to Vehicle 1's movement.  Vehicle 2 will now follow Vehicle 1 as best it can.

hallefuckinglujah
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Zonso

Concur, a huge Finally! to the vehicle follow command and thank you for the squad consolidate command - immensely helpful to clean up all those 'stragglers' inevitably created as a campaign progresses. Interesting to see the AI improvements for area fire in practice, even if not ideal. Looking forward to it.

Sir Slash

I don't know if I can play this game with the vehicles going where I tell them to.  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

I hope that tank riders will be extended back to CMBN and CMFI as they are already in CMRT and CMFB.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Hope those new features find their way to CMRT too.

Zulu1966

Funny I have always found the pathing in cm to be excellent. I remember when they released the big update to shock force after the paradox debacle giving an M1 three waypoints across a big town map and thinking how effective it was in taking the right route.

One thing I hope the follow command does resolve is the bit where a vehicle has three attempts at waiting for the one in front to get moving then plots a route around it but then spends an entire turn pratting about at the side of the road. THAT IS ANNOYING.