TrackIR worth the hefty price?

Started by WallysWorld, October 01, 2016, 09:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on October 02, 2016, 08:30:26 AM
I won't flightsim without it.  I've had mine for what has to be about 10 years, so it's built to last as well.

Two firm thumbs up.

I have a really old Track IR that I can't find updated drivers for anymore. It's either the 1st or 2nd version and won't work with anything beyond WinXP. I haven't been able to use it for years.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

WallysWorld

Many thanks for the comments. I'll be ordering the product tomorrow morning.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Father Ted

I won't flightsim without it.  I've had mine for what has to be about 10 years, so it's built to last as well.

Two firm thumbs up.

A word of warning, though.  Despite Toonces' experience, the trackclips are a bit flimsy - take good care of it.  Keep out of reach of small children, cats, significant others, etc.

Swatter

Yep, my clip lasted about 10 seconds in the hands of a 4 year old.

Nefaro

I wouldn't want to digitally fly without my TIR.  The difference is huge.

Tweaking the sensitivity curves is easy to figure out, too. 

Although figuring out the profile save system took a little bit of reading.  I tend to just turn on the 'exclusive' check box for my favorite, which tends to work for most sims.  A rare one may have unusually sensitive camera movement, which requires it's own, however.

Tuna

Agreed, if you 'fly' it's a must! and finding the profile that is just right, might take some time, but once you do it adds so much immersion to the sim!

jomni

Quote from: Tuna on October 02, 2016, 09:19:31 PM
Agreed, if you 'fly' it's a must! and finding the profile that is just right, might take some time, but once you do it adds so much immersion to the sim!

Not if you fly civilian airliners with many on-screen clicking.  I think it doesn't add a lot.  In fact, I turn off head tracking when I want to manipulate the several panels.

Asid

Quote from: Father Ted on October 02, 2016, 11:27:57 AM

Two firm thumbs up.

A word of warning, though.  Despite Toonces' experience, the trackclips are a bit flimsy - take good care of it.  Keep out of reach of small children, cats, significant others, etc.

The track clip pro is made out of stale biscuits  :tickedoff:
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

WallysWorld

I'll stick with the standard TrackClip for the hat for now and see how that goes. Been reading about people having their Clip Pro break on them.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

vyshka

I've never felt the need to use the pro clip, especially since it requires mounting on a headset (mine has been sitting in a drawer for years). The regular clip is much less a hassle and pretty cheap to replace if you manage to break it.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 02, 2016, 11:27:09 PM
I'll stick with the standard TrackClip for the hat for now and see how that goes. Been reading about people having their Clip Pro break on them.

The standard clip is very precise.  Never felt the need to replace it. 

Word of advice though.  Make sure you have no light sources behind your head (lamps, TV, ect..).  They can interfere pretty badly if left on while playing.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

I have only used the standard clip, no issues for me over the years.

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 02, 2016, 11:27:09 PM

The regular clips do just fine, as long as you don't slingshot them off into space.  Just need a cap with a visor. 

I have both, but the "Pro" version has two drawbacks.  1) it's bulkier, and 2) It uses yet another USB plug. 

Although it saves you from needing to wear a hat, I think the trade-offs are worse.  The only reason I'd end up using the headset clip-on "Pro" version again, is if there was too many false IR returns being detected by the TIR, where I have my desk.  It may help differentiate stray sunlight mixing in, but I've not yet had that issue with the standard reflector that comes with the TIR.

Toonces

I didn't mean to imply the TrackIR is a sturdy device.  It is most certainly not.  I meant that I put it on my monitor and promptly forgot about it and it's been chugging along since.  When I have to take it down, like when I move, I put it in a solid Rubbermaid type container, wrapped in a wad of paper towels or other padding. 

I use the regular clip on a hat.  It has worked very well thus far.

I think you're going to be surprised at how awesome it is.  When I'm flying airliners, I have a switch on my HOTAS to go into and out of 3D for panel button flipping.  But for something like DCS, BMS, IL-2, etc. it's almost all 3D.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

The  trackir track clip pro is horribly flimsy, mine's been glued and duct taped together for years.  Using LEDs over the reflector hat clip is a must though.  I recently upgraded my clip to wireless rechargeable battery LED clip from a comapany in the UK called trackhat.  It velcros onto the side of your head phones, and its about the same or maybe a little more than the trackir clip.

http://www.trackhat.org/