TrackIR worth the hefty price?

Started by WallysWorld, October 01, 2016, 09:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

My TIR 4 has been plugged in for 4 years and still works fine.
My TIR 5 has been running for over a year now without problems. I hope it has been built as durable as my 4.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

I had my dog chew the cable and still is going strong...the device that is....had to get rid of dog when it messes with my stuff:)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I must've blocked something traumatic.  This is my 3rd TrackIR that's dying on me, not my second.  My first was the IR4 that died in a year and a half.  The last two were IR5s.  They seem to last about 2 years for me and then snuff it.

Tuna

Grim.Reaper

Is surprising they are dying so much....must be another contributing factor.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Tuna on October 24, 2016, 06:14:37 PM
USB port frying them?

Maybe.  Maybe just bad luck.  3 different PCs, 3 different TrackIRs = 2 dead and one dying TrackIR.

Staggerwing

Some of the eldritch energy entities you summon forth in your conjuring space must be leaking past the outlying Holding Spells. This can put a lot of strain on nearby delicate electronics.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2016, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: Tuna on October 24, 2016, 06:14:37 PM
USB port frying them?

Maybe.  Maybe just bad luck.  3 different PCs, 3 different TrackIRs = 2 dead and one dying TrackIR.

I have one or two USB ports, in my desktop case, which regularly cause problems with my USB headset microphones.  I think it actually blew the line noise filter in one of them thus far. 

I think some extra 5v power is getting piped back into that row of USBs via another piece of hardware plugged into same.  Le sigh.

Of course, I saw sparks & smoke shooting out the back of one machine years ago.  Due to the Logitech all-in-one software automatically choosing the wrong driver for my mouse.   ::)  Fortunately that motherboard was stronk.

Pete Dero

Found this today on the Grim Reapers (group that plays DCS multiplayer https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZuXjkFY00p1ga3UyCBbR2w)

Any experiences with it ?  Bare bones but looks like it works fine and only 40 € ( £ 36 )

http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/#!/DelanClip-Gamer/p/43397050/category=0

Yskonyn

I have no hands-on experience, but a few dudes from my wing have dabbled with this very setup. A few of them like it enough, but the others found the tracking quality of TIR better, especially with a third party IR led trackclip.

I use TIR5 with such a third party clip myself. Its rock solid. And you can buy the TIR for around 75 these days. Not exactly expensive IMO.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."