Wings Over Flanders Fields Ultimate Edition

Started by WallysWorld, October 19, 2016, 12:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

WallysWorld

Downloading it now. I emailed the devs through their support email saying I bought up to WOFF 3 in the past few months and they emailed a nice 25% off coupon.

I'm going to install the game from scratch instead of installing it over the older version.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Grim.Reaper

Nice series, but $65 too steep for me, especially with how much time I would likely get out of it right now...maybe a future sale

DoctorQuest

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 19, 2016, 05:20:00 PM
Downloading it now. I emailed the devs through their support email saying I bought up to WOFF 3 in the past few months and they emailed a nice 25% off coupon.

I'm going to install the game from scratch instead of installing it over the older version.

I'm on the fence for the moment on this. I'd like your impressions after you get some stick time in.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 19, 2016, 05:59:18 PM
Nice series, but $65 too steep for me, especially with how much time I would likely get out of it right now...maybe a future sale

Actually, if your a new buyer, deal not that bad since it includes all expansions and such....just can't forget you also have to find and buy MS Combat Sim 3 to use with it.

Nefaro

One of the best single-player dynamic campaigns out there.  This and the one in Falcon 4 are about as good as it gets.

The whole theater is going about it's business of war, while you're flying about with your squadron mates doing missions.  But it has some great little details.  Such as the difference between the way German and Allied AA gun bursts look:  from all the pilot accounts I've read from the time, the German AA bursts had dark colored smoke, while allied ones were white-ish.  The observation balloons are a proper distance behind the lines (not too close).  The devs obviously did their homework studies. 

Another huge pro is how AI pilots work.  They're not T1000 model Terminators.  If things look bad, or they get wounded, they attempt to escape.  WOFF also has many ace pilots, and their specific aircraft skins, included.  You know you're in for a helluva fight when you see a flashy-colored craft fly by on the merge.  In a dogfight with three Red & Green Albatros fighters?  Or Richthofen's Flying Circus itself?  It's gonna be a nail biter.  Love this stuff.

The biggest Con I have with WOFF is the same as that of the Falcon 4 mods.  It's built on top of an antique and rickety old flight sim.  In the case of WOFF, that means it can only use one CPU to run the game.  That means a sizable portion of the West Front will have a huge amount of flights, doing their own & varied missions, while the ground units are shooting at each other and firing artillery.  You need a good processor with high single core speed, because there's a LOT being processed while you fly.  I didn't experience this limitation much until I started pumping up the usual graphics setting hogs, such as Anti-Aliasing and Shadows.   

I think a more sizable chunk of the gfx setting load is placed on the CPU, in WOFF, compared to newer games.  That old game engine just didn't have as much of the gfx load handed off to your video card, and it's still the case. 

I also had some trouble using my HOTAS setup, since it has more buttons & hats than that old engine originally supported.  But I dug around and found the hardware settings to resolve the issue.

I could've just stuck to ROF and been happy with my WWI flight sim experience.  Especially regarding multi-player, and better looking graphics.  But those who fancy themselves history geeks, want a proper World War I war going on below, and don't mind the old game engine limitations, will find enjoyment in this.  I like the dynamic campaign more than that weird Spawn-Bubble thing in ROF.  Obviously you gotta have an extra interest in the WWI air war (I do).  So keep that in mind.

With all that said, I only ever picked up the core game and one or two expansions.  The earlier war stuff just never interested me.  I've also not played it in over a year, so there have certainly been more little improvements.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 19, 2016, 06:31:31 PM
....just can't forget you also have to find and buy MS Combat Sim 3 to use with it.

Is that still so? The install/troubleshoot FAQ on the WOFF site doesn't mention CSF3 at all.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Is there a beginners guide available? I tried playing months ago and made very little progress in a week or two...I just wish sucked, crashing on take off, etc. I want to love this game a bad.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 19, 2016, 08:34:41 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 19, 2016, 06:31:31 PM
....just can't forget you also have to find and buy MS Combat Sim 3 to use with it.

Is that still so? The install/troubleshoot FAQ on the WOFF site doesn't mention CSF3 at all.

I would find it odd if it didn't require it since don't know how legally they could somehow include it now

WallysWorld

Looks like it is still required.

"You are required to own Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 and a PC and the requirements above for WOFF UE."
WOFF requirements

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 19, 2016, 08:47:48 PM
Looks like it is still required.

"You are required to own Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 and a PC and the requirements above for WOFF UE."
WOFF requirements

Thanks...thought that was still the case, although would have been great if it wasn't

SirAndrewD

I humorously just found my old CFS 3 and early OFF disks this week while cleaning out my storage shed. 

Price on this one is a bit too rich for my blood right now though. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Seems lot a good number of folks angered that no upgrade path was provided for previous owners, especially since version 3  wasn't that old.  Yes, you can get a little discount if you purchased since July, but doesn't appear to be good enough for some.  I can kind of see their point, but in the end they don't have to buy this version, but will miss out on some of the enhancements.  If they bought all the prior versions and content prior to July, I can understand $65 being a bit steep for some enhancements

RyanE

It seems kind of strange there is no upgrade for current users.  It's kind of a stiff arm to people that have been loyal and bought everything else.  They are basically making all those people rebuy everything they already bought just to get a few upgrades.