What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Yeah, Near Earth Asteroids are the least of our worries right now.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Exactly. Killer Hornet-nados would be my first pick.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Staggerwing

One of the chaos lords entering our realm?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pete Dero

The left is an image from JWST's Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam) while the middle one is from Webb's Mid-Infrared Instrument.   The right one is from Hubble and resembles most how it would look to the human eye.

The Eagle Nebula shown on the pictures is some 6,500–7,000 light-years from Earth.  If you could travel at the speed of light it would take over 2 years to travel through the shown area .

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

I am glad we all could, join-together, to celebrate this event.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on December 13, 2022, 01:18:44 PM
This makes me feel really old.

really? How so?

I get all giddy when there has been major breakthroughs in sciencey/engineering shit!

mRNA vaccines
StarLink
hybrid/electric automobiles
etc..
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Sir Slash

I felt the same way when they came-up with the Horse and...the Buggy.  :wow:

Pete Dero

Quote from: Windigo on December 13, 2022, 05:07:49 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 13, 2022, 01:18:44 PM
This makes me feel really old.

really? How so?

I get all giddy when there has been major breakthroughs in sciencey/engineering shit!

mRNA vaccines
StarLink
hybrid/electric automobiles
etc..

Electric cars were around in 1900 !

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car

Sir Slash

You just needed a really long Extension Cord.... ;D

Gusington

Don't forget steam powered cars! Back around 1900 they powered cars with everything. And then Standard Oil had something to say and the rest is...

...anyway this fusion announcement is literally a once in a 1000 year thing. And I lived to see it, announced, anyway. I don't know if I will be around to see it become a reality.

That's what makes me feel old.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd