Railway Empire from Kalypso?

Started by WallysWorld, March 21, 2017, 02:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

Yes, I can confirm that if you buy from GMG your key will get you into the beta now.  I only have a few hours played and it is fun so far.  Love the eye candy.

Not sure about the AI yet.  I've seen some videos where a good player beats the AI easily.  The game seems to be more about fulfilling the tasks you are given rather than beating your competitors.  Have not played or seen it played against the Very Hard AI yet.  No multiplayer is planned.

Also, you can only play in one region at a time like the East or Midwest, i.e. there is no full US map scenario.

Check Youtube for Adekyn's videos for some good examples of gameplay.

I can see myself getting $32 worth of fun out of it but YMMV of course.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

-budd-

Do you still have to use Kalypso launcher for this game or is the Steam DRM all there is?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Geezer

Here is a typical task list that I mentioned above.  The more you complete within 20 years, the higher your final score.

salazarus

I was excited about this game but after reading recent opinions I'm not any more. Here is good thread on reddit about it:

https://pl.reddit.com/r/tycoon/comments/7mhfc5/railway_empire_whats_your_take/

I've noticed that usually first impressions were positive, but after a while people got disappointed.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Geezer

One guy on reddit was ranting about signaling.  I struggled with placing them at first but once you get the hang of it then it makes sense and works fine.  I'm still in the "first impression" stage, 6 hours played so far, but have not seen anything yet that would lead me to think I'll grow tired of it any time soon.  By the time I do grow tired of it I'll have played many more hours and easily gotten my moneys worth out of it.  I would have liked a full US map option and a longer duration than 20 year scenarios, and maybe those will come in time with mods.  If not, well it's not a game breaker for me.

Grim.Reaper

sounds like best for me to sit this one out

salazarus

I saw opinions that this game isn't very modable. I will wait for full release, but I'm sceptical. The developers made Patrician IV so I don't think it will be disaster like Urban Empires. But I think that they don't know how to make good railroad game.
There are also other games on the horizon (Rise of Industry - should be soon on steam in EA and
Voxel Tycoon) that are looking good. Unfortunately they are more Open TTD/ Simutrans games.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: salazarus on January 13, 2018, 04:15:02 PM
I saw opinions that this game isn't very modable. I will wait for full release, but I'm sceptical. The developers made Patrician IV so I don't think it will be disaster like Urban Empires. But I think that they don't know how to make good railroad game.

But I think they also made Grand Ages Medieval which was a dud for me:(

I'll stick with my instinct, none of the publisher's games have clicked with me....going to guess this one won't either.

salazarus

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 13, 2018, 04:21:45 PM

But I think they also made Grand Ages Medieval which was a dud for me:(

I'll stick with my instinct, none of the publisher's games have clicked with me....going to guess this one won't either.

Same here I've liked Patrician IV but hated Grand Ages Medieval. It is sad that we can't get modern version of Railroad Tycoon game.

Gusington

I really wanted to enjoy Grand Ages: Medieval but also could not get in to it after about 10 hours trying :/

Is the city building part of this game strong or just a sideshow?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

Cities grow when you provide them with whatever goods they need.  You can get tasks like asking you to grow a city, or multiple cities, to a certain population; or building a particular structure (museum for example) in a city which requires a minimum amount of population.  To me though city building is certainly secondary to running your railway and only really comes into play as per tasks. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2018, 10:26:14 PM
Thanks Geezer.

Glad to help.  One thing I forgot to mention is that industries will expand in a city as it grows.  There can be up to 4 industries depending on city size.  So, for example, when a city grows to 65,000 you can build a distillery that produces alcohol from fruit and sugar.  Owning the distillery, fruit orchard, and/or sugar plantation will increase your income.  Even if you don't own them you can make money by delivering those resources to the distillery.  Same with transporting the alcohol to a place with a demand for it.  Pretty sure industries and resource locations will expand in size as demand increases, or if you own them you can decide when to expand.

Edit - There are currently 11 resources and 11 finished goods.  Here is a link to a page Adekyn made that shows them all:  http://railwayempireboardroom.webs.com/apps/blog/show/45086722-resources-and-industries