GRFS PC edition spotted on shelf!

Started by Jarhead0331, June 24, 2012, 02:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

It seems this is released now. I've just been playing it.

Unfortunately I can't see how to turn my Ghost. It seems it may be looking for a bloody gamepad. I can't see any settings to tell it specifically to use a mouse - and I shouldn't have to anyway - so in game all I can do is run forward and left and right but the camera stays facing the way my guy was when the mission loaded.

I have only loaded it for a few minutes as it's work time here so I'll give it a proper look later.

If anyone knows how to have the camera follow your ghosts head please let me know - and if there's an option for first person, I think I may prefer that.

Looks sexy - but the issue with movement is very common with console-PC ports (and idiots, if I've missed something or doing something wrong) :-)

It may have something to do with this
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/355588/ubisoft-promises-fix-for-ghost-recon-future-soldier-pc-bug/#
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Actually - it seems TOTALLY geared to  gamepads. There are references all over the place to RB, RT, A, B etc...even on the manual page!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Update

My steering wheel was jacked into the USB hub. Now I knew it was, and I also knew that is a common fault with FPS - but in my defence the times I've seen it before the steering wheel has been plugged in also (powered up) - not just the USB plug in.

Anyway - disconnected that and I can look around now using the mouse.

Looking forward to getting into it tonight now.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I had the same issue initially with my HOTAS.  Had to unplug it in order to get the mouse detected.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

JH - is this a long game?

It's looking rather short to me. I've already done two areas and when I was looking at achievements or something, it only showed 4?? Given how long I've played for 2 aeas, that seems kind of small.

As for the game itself, I really like the gameplay. However, I'm a bit disappointed about a few things:
1. No first person view - and I haven't totally warmed to the 3rd person yet
2. No commanding your boys...only on synchronised take down
3. No arming your boys
4. No access to keys whilst in game. I always like to ESC and go into the controls page to see what keys I need to use to do various things
5. Real basic walk throughs pretty much all the way through. Almost every action there's a prompt on screen to tell you what key to use. For example, everytime you are at a wall or some other cover, the prompt to press SPACE to use cover comes up. Now - bearing in mind point 4, that's handy initially...but I don't need it ALL the way through the game.

In short - although it has the Ghost Recon feel, it's quite a way away from the other games. It's clearly a console port but actually plays quite well. I do like the gameplay though...I can see me playing this on elite.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 28, 2012, 03:39:00 PM
JH - is this a long game?

It's looking rather short to me. I've already done two areas and when I was looking at achievements or something, it only showed 4?? Given how long I've played for 2 aeas, that seems kind of small.

As for the game itself, I really like the gameplay. However, I'm a bit disappointed about a few things:
1. No first person view - and I haven't totally warmed to the 3rd person yet
2. No commanding your boys...only on synchronised take down
3. No arming your boys
4. No access to keys whilst in game. I always like to ESC and go into the controls page to see what keys I need to use to do various things
5. Real basic walk throughs pretty much all the way through. Almost every action there's a prompt on screen to tell you what key to use. For example, everytime you are at a wall or some other cover, the prompt to press SPACE to use cover comes up. Now - bearing in mind point 4, that's handy initially...but I don't need it ALL the way through the game.

In short - although it has the Ghost Recon feel, it's quite a way away from the other games. It's clearly a console port but actually plays quite well. I do like the gameplay though...I can see me playing this on elite.

I don't find it short at all.  I have missions in South America, South Africa, West Africa, the Middle East, all over Russia, etc. There are a lot of missions...just keep playing.

You're not in command, so that is why there are no real command options. This doesn't bother me at all because I find my team AI to be extremely competent.  They do not need to be led from position to position and they don't need to be told when to fire and when to exercise restraint. 

There is a first person mode, but only when you look through your optics.  It wasn't advertised as a FPS, so this doesn't bother me and I'm quite fond of tactical TPS games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 28, 2012, 04:34:50 PM
I don't find it short at all.  I have missions in South America, South Africa, West Africa, the Middle East, all over Russia, etc. There are a lot of missions...just keep playing.
Good. I just got worried when I saw a list of areas in the achievments.

Good game - just further away from the original franchise than I thought it would be (I didn't read up too much on it). And I agree with the squad members. So much more competent. And if I had the choice between them being more under my control and useless, or as they are now, I'd choose as they are now.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Turned out much longer than I had suspected - good news. Still not finished it yet.

I'm surprised there's no discussion going on about it...no one else got it? No one interested in it? Too busy playing it?

Gameplay is quite simple and nothing like any of the other games in the series...but I love games with a good story - and this has a decent story. Lots of cool toys. Destructive cover and shooting through cover is cool. Combat feels pretty good.

I'm enjoying it. If I was to rate it on gameplay alone I'd give it 7 out of 10 for being a little too simplistic - but a decent story adds another 1 to it - so 8 out of 10 for me. Also I'm playing it on normal and the combat is "forgiving"...you'll still go down fast if you don't use cover properly. I expect perhaps more enemies and less forgiving combat on tougher gameplay setting.

I've heard lots of people having lots of problems - but I haven't had a single crash.

Edited to say it's been the only game I've fired up since I downloaded it last Thursday.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 03, 2012, 05:26:14 PM
Turned out much longer than I had suspected - good news. Still not finished it yet.

I'm surprised there's no discussion going on about it...no one else got it? No one interested in it? Too busy playing it?

Gameplay is quite simple and nothing like any of the other games in the series...but I love games with a good story - and this has a decent story. Lots of cool toys. Destructive cover and shooting through cover is cool. Combat feels pretty good.

I'm enjoying it. If I was to rate it on gameplay alone I'd give it 7 out of 10 for being a little too simplistic - but a decent story adds another 1 to it - so 8 out of 10 for me. Also I'm playing it on normal and the combat is "forgiving"...you'll still go down fast if you don't use cover properly. I expect perhaps more enemies and less forgiving combat on tougher gameplay setting.

I've heard lots of people having lots of problems - but I haven't had a single crash.

Edited to say it's been the only game I've fired up since I downloaded it last Thursday.

For me, just a little burned out on FPS games right now....I figure by the time I am in the mood again, it will be much cheaper during a future Steam or Gamersgate sale:)

JudgeDredd

Finished the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. An FPS with a story - and a good story - always goes down well with me.

As I said above though - it's not Ghost Recon of old...it's an FPS with some fancy kit and a few gameplay gimmicks.

Worth the price though.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2012, 03:30:07 PM
Finished the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. An FPS with a story - and a good story - always goes down well with me.

As I said above though - it's not Ghost Recon of old...it's an FPS with some fancy kit and a few gameplay gimmicks.

Worth the price though.

to the interwebs man - multiplayer time!