Main Menu

FPS Syndrome?

Started by MarkShot, June 27, 2012, 10:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Defect

Um, can't you pick up Ghost Recon pretty cheaply on the Xbox? Could that be a compromise?

MarkShot

I've never tried a console.  (maybe one day)

I cannot imagine being so tied to computer gaming that I would suffer pain and one day require surgery.  Studies show that 1/3 of all deaths in the USA are the result of medical errors.  Over 100,000/year die of hospital infections.  It basically would take a heart attack to get me into a hospital (which I have had).

Nefaro

Quote from: MarkShot on June 27, 2012, 05:39:27 PM

I cannot imagine being so tied to computer gaming that I would suffer pain and one day require surgery.  Studies show that 1/3 of all deaths in the USA are the result of medical errors.  Over 100,000/year die of hospital infections.  It basically would take a heart attack to get me into a hospital (which I have had).

Using a mouse isn't necessarily the big (or sole) reason for carpal tunnel.  Hell, you can get it if you are in the habit of sleeping with your hand curled against the side of your head. 

It takes surprisingly little to screw up some stuff in your hand or arm.  I gotta Ulnar Neuropathy at the age of 35.. no obvious cause other than a random guess that I banged my elbow (that's the "funny bone" nerve) pretty bad or something.. which I don't recall every happening.   Left me with some permanent nerve damage and half-lame ring & pinky fingers on my left hand (can't type properly anymore - doah!).  Wasn't ever a real answer as to why. *shrug* 

Watch yo back!!   :P

James Sterrett

Like W8aminute, I am left-handed, and thus get the issues in my right hand.

I've been dealing with RSI since 1994.  I haven't stopped gaming - including sims, FPS, etc.

There are two terribly mundane secrets:

1) Stretching periodically.  I learned how from my physiotherapist after being diagnosed.  I reflexively, pre-emptively, stretch my wrists.

2) Control your work environment.  Pay attention to the ergonomics of your keyboard (I have been using Microsoft split ergonomic keyboards since 1994 - they make a difference for me), mouse, seat, monitor, and how their locations interact.

And, added to that:

* If it hurts, I stop and stretch.  If I think it necessary I apply heat (hot bean bag) and/or ibuprofen to calm things back down.

* Changing what my hands are doing helps too.  Thus mouse time doesn't seem to compete with stick time.

* I tried several versions of braces to wear and found that they rarely helped and, when put on incorrectly (a definition which sometimes shifts over a timespan of tens of minutes), can make the problem worse.

So far, though - nearly 20 years (!) - this has kept it controlled.

MarkShot

Maybe I should change the title of this thread to "Personal sacrifices made in the name of gaming?".

Major Defect

Quote from: MarkShot on June 27, 2012, 05:39:27 PM
I've never tried a console.  (maybe one day)

Ah right oh, sorry, missed that. I must confess for all these type games I have now become a middle aged console convert. No system conflicts/graphics/sound card etc etc issues, most (not all) content available to download. Does my FPS itch a power of good. You don't get all the mod stuff - but for me I hardly ever end up playing the stuff I download anyway. Occasionally get "thumb cramp" etc. In which case, as you say, I stop!

jomni

Im my case my PS3 is only for FPS.  Other genres will be in the PC.  Exception is ARMA2 which is permanently resides in my PC HDD.

MengJiao

Quote from: James Sterrett on June 27, 2012, 10:12:27 PM
Like W8aminute, I am left-handed, and thus get the issues in my right hand.

Well for me the trick seems to have been to stay right-handed, but mouse with the left.  And I stopped playing Diablo
and I think I tend to play slower FPS games.

Plus I'm playing a lot more board games and I play them on the floor so I assume unusual postures.

MarkShot

I was thinking about the Logitech G13 Gameboard. Does anyone have a G13 or similar? Is it more ergonomic than using a standard keyboard?

Thanks.

bob48

^ The wife uses a Logitech gaming keyboard and programable mouse (mainly for Diablo and WoW) and loves them. She is 50% disabled in her left wrist / arm, and the Logitech stuff really eases the strain.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

I only have a problem when I play MMORPGs.  It's the constant switching between WASD and the number keys along the top.  It doesn't help that I have really small hands, so I can just about stretch to 5 while keeping my hand in the WASD area.  An intense PvP session - only about 10 minutes is sufficient - can really make my hand ache.

I guess I should look into getting one of those stupidly huge mice with buttons all over them.  If I only had to press WASD with my left hand I'd be OK.

MarkShot

Evacuated after severe storms Friday.  Back.  Didn't think at all about FPS in the sweltering 100 degree heat and no electricity.  Mother Nature sure helps you get your mind right.  :)

Staggerwing

Glad to hear all is well. I actually thought you'd gone overseas already.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Slick Wilhelm

My carpal tunnel prevention solution has been a combination of good posture, stretching and quality wrist/thumb braces.

Diablo 2 just about pushed me over the edge into carpal tunnel, so I have since given up on such "clicky" games.

I switched to using a Logitech Marble Man mouse at work, so I'm only using my right thumb instead of my whole wrist to mouse. At home during gaming, I use a high quality wrist brace with a couple of metal braces inside to keep the wrist straight.

At 46 yrs old, so far no carpal tunnel. Hope to keep it that way.